ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:35 am 

Ok. My head has been spinning for over a week and a half now. I was diagnosed positive for herpes. Im going to avoid about what i felt and what i have been feeling all this week. The family medicine where i went called me and the nurse told me i was positive for hsv2 neg for hsv1 and all other tests. She added if an outbreak occurs make an appt to the dr so you can receive treatment. I (like everyone else i guess) was shocked, my heart dropped and have lost all the focus i had in life. I havent had any symptoms nor outbreaks (but this is common). So i called again to get a better understanding of my results (after hrs and hrs in google). When i spoke to the nurse she said "you have hsv2, it was a blood work, its in you, you have it and its contagious. If you want to go over your results you can make an appt. w/ the dr." So kinda made me mad. But anyways back to my results.. I got a print out of my results today.. and i am very confused as of what im suppose to be looking at... So i really need some help if any one knows.. please help.. The print out reads like this...

Test Result Units Flag Reference range

hsv I/II IgG 36.3 index H 0.0-0.8

I thought it was suppose to devide each test and give you an accurate "result" in each one. Now the result to me is high.. but i am ???? .. does this mean is all over my body??? Now as i was reading the print out, the result was not verified by MY DR. but a different name... so can any one please help me understand????i am very very very new to this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:19 pm 

You can a combined herpes test done which is a total waste of time since most adults will test + for it. You know absolutely nothing about your herpes status at this point from this test.

You need to have the test repeated with a type specific herpes igg blood test. I also suggest you let your doctor know that they need to update their herpes testing knowledge to better serve their patients.

http://www.ashastdwebstore.org/herpes-t ... olkit.html is a terrific booklet for health professionals that is under $3 that gives them all the info they need to quickly update their knowledge.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:36 pm 

Hello betsy,

thanks for your replied. i forgot to mention the only information i have is the blood work was sent to labcorp. How and why do they kno is hsv2 from this result? i took the test 2 weeks ago when do u think is proper to test again? i am going to make an appt wit a different dr. Thanks for the reply once again.. and ive been in this website and read many of your many replies. You are the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:24 am 

You can call your provider and ask for the proper test to be ordered for you. labcorp does the captia type specific test which is ok.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 am 

alright. I should be able to go at any time right? I will make sure i ask for a type specific test. I really want to go asap as this has lost me a relationship ive been wanting for a while. The gal basically doesnt want to deal with it, which i understant. BTW sorry for the double reply (ive been doin all of this throu my phone)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 am 

not a problem - used to the 'net stuttering now and then ....lol

yes you can call and have your provider order the proper test today for you even :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 pm 

ha. let me tell u, i use my phone as if it was a computer. i got a blood test done yesterday and asked for a test specific. i will post them here once i get them. quick question though... do the numbers above.. tell u anything? out of "normal" range?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:46 pm 

A positive non-type specific only tells you that you may have at least one type of hsv in your body. most adults have hsv1 orally whether they get obvious cold sores or not so most folks will test + on it.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:18 pm 

so.. i should assume im positive for sumthing uh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:46 pm 

Hey Betsy,

Now i got the second results back (from different doctor) and they are as follow:

HSV I/II IgG 49.4h

HSV I IgG 6.08H

HSV 2 IgG <0.91

This means im positive for HSV1 correct? and i can rest assure is not genital herpes?... I cant kiss any1 now? I cant remember last time i had a cold sore, it's been years. What are the chances of me transmitting it to a girl i want to date? Thanks for your information on getting a 2nd type specific test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:54 am 

You know you have a history of cold sores so you know your hsv1 is oral. There is terrific info on oral herpes here on the main asha site under the herpes section for more reading.

was this just a herpes screening you had done or had you had suspicious genital symptoms or something that prompted testing?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:18 pm 

yeah.. last time i remember was probably when i was 17.. im 24now.. i wanted to get in a relationship with this girl so i had tests done, now thas a no go.. but, no i havevnt felt. nothingthat made me think i had something..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]