So here is my story. I was diagnosed with Genital Warts in June 09', my girlfriend noticed a small one in December 08'. I had about 6 warts total. Several were covered by hair so the dermatologist only froze 3 of them. Now I have about 10, but he said that usually after freezing you will develop more. Eventually, this is supposed to stop and the warts stop coming up so quickly. He called in a prescription for Aldara and luckily 8 of my warts are all in one spot abou an inch in diameter so I can hit em with the Aldara. Its been 12 weeks with the Aldara and they have decreased about 60%. He did mention that I didn't have very many and that is a very very good sign. My girlfriend was sitting there with me we had broken up for about two months and she didn't see anyone, and I did and had sex and ended up with this. Luckily, since we've been together for over three years with the exception of those two months, she was very understanding. The dermatologist told her that she most likely had been exposed, so we went to see her gynecologist. She tested negative for high risk, but her Dr said she thought she had it because she recently started complaining of pain on insertion during intercourse. Sorry for the excessive detail. Anways, to make this more interesting we had started going to church right about the time we were diagnosed. We agreed to stop having sex until we're married, which has been hard, but thats another subject. However, her gynecologist told her that since we're not tearing warts open during sex, it may help us not have more warts develop. She also said that you cannont reinfect your partner, so thats not a worry. I just figure that we're killing two birls with one stone. Since we probably won't get married for another three years and 90% of people clear up in two. Its not December yet so I still have another year and two months until I hit 24 months since the first wart appeared.
However, here lies my problem. I have OCD. Two things trigger it, my grandfather and HPV. I really got my OCD under control by taking Celexa and that drastically helped, infact, I hardly even noticed it anymore. Then I was diagnosed. Luckily, I was able to tell my dad about this, we're very close and my girlfriend talked to him about it as well. There is no way I could tell my mom. I'm 22 years old. I've read on the CDC that its not transmitted through inanimate objects, but I still worry about several things. I was hoping to get some reassurance on here. As this is a social support board. My dad has been very helpful and so has my girlfriend, but still would like to ask my questions on here. Because I feel like a lot of stuff is "dirty".
1) If I go to the gym to work out and sweat, and sit on a piece of exercise equipment, does that spread HPV? I know its skin to skin, but if the sweat was on my skin and moved to the equipment?
2) Saliva, if I brush my teeth and don't wash my hands, can I spread the virus that way?
3) If I go to the restroom and urinate, then button my pants and belt, then wash my hands, I still feel like my belt is dirty? Any input there?
4) My dermatologist told me that I should wash my hands after restroom trips, sex (which isn't happening right now), after putting my dirty towels in the washer, and when I get out of the shower. Allow me to elaborate. In the shower, I have a towel rack, I throw my dirty wash rag in the shower floor, dry off, genitals last, fold my towel over and pick up the wash rag and lay it in the shower floor. I get out of the shower I have a clean wash rag waiting on me. I take it and open the bathroom door and put my dirty towel and washrag in the hamper, and then take the clean wash rag and turn the water faucet on and wash my hands. However, I feel like the shower floor is dirty and my hamper is dirty? Like I handle it and I carry it to the laundry room and feel icky and or I get out of the shower and I feel like my feet are "dirty" because the showe floor is "dirty".
5) How long can this virus live outside the body, I know there isn't a definite answer, but an educated guess would be nice. (2 minutes, 2 hours, 2 days)
Truthfully, at one point my anxiety was so bad I was washing my hands until they bled, but I read that it cannot be transmitted through inanimate objects. I realize dirty towels and washrags are kind of iffy, but if washed then they are clean. But I used to feel like remotes, faucet knobs, books, laptop keyboards were all "dirty", but that has all went away. Questions three and four are what is really triggering my anxiety. For months every other day I have lysol sprayed and clorox wiped just about everything in my house, except for clothes, linens, towels, which all get washed. But movie cases, firearms, books, remotes, door knobs, light switches, all that kind of stuff has been cleaned at least a dozen times. But I feel comfortable since Saturday night when I found this website and read several pages of threads. But questions three and four are still weighing on my mind.
I eat pretty good, have started taking a multi-vitamin, cimentidine, which is supposed to be an antiviral used for stopping things like molloscum contagiousum. I was told this by a nurse practitioner, she said it would be worth trying. The Dermatologist said that he really thought this wouldn't be something that was life long for me, so i'm pretty hopeful. I don't drink, smoke, eat a ton of junk food, i'm pretty healthy, except for this. I felt so much better to hear Fredo say that just about everyone has this. And so much was taken off of my mind when my girlfriend said and I quote, "This is a social disease, but its not a problem for us because we're going to get married". That was such a relief. If I could get things to stop feeling dirty my life would be incredible, between going to church and getting a new job. I have found ways to decrease stress by reading, home theater which is my hobby, XBOX 360, Sports. Like I said, personally I can tell that things have gotten drastically better in my mind, but there are a few things still bothering me about this. I just want to get this worked out and get on with my life, everything has been extremely perfect except for this. I'm just looking for some hope, answers, and support from people just like me. Thanks.
By the way, Fredo, how do you know so much about this? You seem to have endless knowledge?