ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:58 am 

I found this on another website:

"While there is no currently FDA approved hpv test for men, the hpv test for women is a DNA test and DNA is not sex specific. It is called the Digene Hybrid Capture Test II. The test for women works for men too because a DNA test works on cells regardless of the "sex" of a cell. The DNA test has been used 1000s of times on men in clinical tests about various aspects of hpv. Its application to test men for hpv simply has not yet been widely spread in the clinical world."

There is no excuse not to test men. Women have the right to know if their partner has HPV. Women's groups need to be fighting for an FDA-approved test for men. That's the only way it'll happen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:37 am 

Hey there Jack361,

Which website did you get this source from and do you know of any clinics who may perform this procedure on men? What do you think about Jack361's post Fredo? Do you know if this is true or possible??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm 

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to a commerical site.

Post subject: Re: Permission to post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:33 pm 

Why no just ask Fredo or one of the moderators Jack?

Post subject: my story Re: oral hpv
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:32 pm 

dmp1123 wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me Fredo.

When you google "HPV and Men" or "Oral HPV and Men" you get a list of articles that link Oral HPV with Throat/Head/Neck cancers, so that's why I was asking. What do oral hpv warts look like? The same as genital ones?

Thanks again,
DMP

I have had HPV for about a year and a half. I'm not sure who I got it from but I found out when I was with my on again off again girlfriend who told me. Before she told me I found, what I now know is a wart, and I pinched it off. About six months later I got another out break, just a few, that I got rid of through cyrotherapy. I thought I was clear since everything I read made me assume that ("8-24 months") fact. I'm beginning to think this thing will just keep coming back when your immune system gets low, with stress or a sickness.

Just because one study says most people clear in 8-24 months doesn't mean jack----. There must be multiple studies addressing the same issue on a long term basis. I have looked for these studies and I've come up way short. When you get information anywhere you must judge the validity yourself.

After reading information provided on what I thought were other creditable sites; isn't the type of HPV that causes warts not the type that causes cancer? I have read that the high risk types cause cancer and the low risk types--the ones that cause warts, do not cause cancer.

Does anyone have any cohort or longitudinal studies done on HPV and the course of the disease throughout a person's life time? I have read people posting that they have had HPV (warts) for years and they keep coming back. Is this like herpes but in wart form? If my immune system breaks down do the warts pop up, but stay until I or my body gets rid of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:26 am 

Hi guys,

Well isn't this a horrible bloody thing to have?

My condolences to all. Its a crazy nightmare that I am living and I am sure you can all relate.

Anyway I am trying to see some positives, which is hard given my circumstances which include this all being pretty recently discovered, not just for me but for my fiance, so we are both doing it tough right now.

I have got some good news though, as I live in Australia, I have the successful creator of Gardasil in my backyard - and for those of you who want hope for the future, and he is currently researching therapeutic applications of variants of Gardasil (at least thats my layman's understanding of it not being any sort of researcher). This will be some years away from a commercially available anything, assuming it is successful, but its got to be a strong positive reason we can get behind and find some hope in?

Cheers all and good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:52 pm 

Well am I ever happy to see the Males get some attention again lol. Us guys keep getting over looked on this HPV business. I just scheduled an appointment with my doctor and asked him about some more transmission questions. He said that there is no reason that you coudln't have a verneral wart in your mouth especially if your gf and you have had oral sex. His phone actually cut out and I heard something about saliva would or wouldn't hold it. So that part kind of sucks. On a positive note, the aldara had been making things a little worse from skin irritation, now its starting to look better now that the skin is healing up. What I thought was infected skin isn't at all. That sounds really gross and its pretty minute, but anways. He did say that after 16 weeks you have to take a break from Aldara? How long is that break? He said in the meantime we would try Condylox which I know nothing about and cryotherapy. He said his whole practice and his partners dislike TCA as they feel its does as much harm as it does good.

Post subject: Re: oral hpv
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:18 pm 

dmp1123 wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me Fredo.

When you google "HPV and Men" or "Oral HPV and Men" you get a list of articles that link Oral HPV with Throat/Head/Neck cancers, so that's why I was asking. What do oral hpv warts look like? The same as genital ones?

Thanks again,
DMP

DMP,

Oral HPV infection is something that both men and women should be concerned about. In fact it is more concerning than genital HPV because there is no commercially available test for oral HPV infection in men or women, while commercially available tests exist to test women for genital HPV. The leading expert on oral HPV infection is Dr. Maura Gillison. She has published numerous academic articles on oral HPV infection and cancer risk. If you google her name you should come up with them. While it appears that oral HPV infections can be tested for using a simple "swish and spit" test, this test is currently employed only in clinical trials. Thus the only widely available screening for oral cancers is visual inspection. Gillison's research suggests that HPV induced oral cancer tends to present in specific areas in the mouth/tonsils. Both men and women should have these visual screenings done regularly by a doctor and/or dentist who is familar with HPV. While there is some debate about just how useful it is with HPV induced oral cancer, since such cancers tend to present in hard to see areas in the mouth, such as the tonsils, there is new screening technology that appears to make it easier for dentists to spot oral cancer early. Here is a link: http://www.baydentalsolutions.com/oral- ... screening/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:38 pm 

infostd2008 wrote:
Hey again Fredo,

Many thanks for all of your informative advice. I am now exploring my options for getting tested for HPV. My doctor sent me with an order to a lab to have a blood test for HPV. Unfortunately, I was informed that there is currently no blood test for HPV. However, I was also informed that an anal swab can be collected and sent to a lab to be tested for HPV in males. My question is, since no FDA approved test is currently approved for HPV testing in males, how is a doctor able to perform a biopsy, an anal swab, or a culture and get positive or negative test results for the HPV virus in males? Why are none of these methods FDA approved for males? How accurate are these testing methods for detecting HPV in males? I tried to get more information from a laboratory but they will only disclose information to my doctor concerning this matter. Why is this so? I am earnestly considering getting tested for HPV for my future. My dream is to get married someday and have children, without infect anyone else. My final question is if I choose to have an anal swab test for HPV or a culture, which I would prefer hands down over a biopsy, how many times can I be tested for HPV using either procedure? Why does the doctor have to swab the anus? And which part of the anus (deep inside, or partially inside?). Is this where HPV is found in infected males?? My plan is to get tested now, and if I test positive, I will give my immune system time to clear the virus and get tested again, hopefully test HPV negative at that time. Sorry if I asked too many questions of you. Hopefully you have more insightful answers...

Thanks!!

Hi,

I just wanted to echo your frustration and refer you to a discussion topic on this website that I started recently, entitled "Men Interested In Being Tested for High Risk HPV." The purpose of the topic is to provide an area within the general HPV discussion board where men can pool information in an attempt to locate doctors who will test men for high risk genital HPV. Please check it out. I plan on adding some information soon, as I have located a hospital abroad that tests men for high risk HPV (using urine testing). I am still checking on their methods to see how reliable they are, and I have some follow up questions for them, but once I have more complete information I will post it under that topic. There is no question that men can be tested for high risk HPV with fairly high reliability. Typically this is done (in research studies and clinical trials) by taking minimally invasive skin scrapings from the genital region and using PCR to test for HPV DNA. (I am a little suprised/concerned that your doctor suggested a blood test. However could you provide his name, since it is very difficult to find a doctor in the U.S. who is willing to do any HPV testing on men?) The real problem is one of perception and medical autonomy: most doctors don't think men need the information and therefore are unwilling to test them. Should they be making that decision for adults who wish to be tested and are willing to pay for the minimally invasive testing?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:52 pm 

jack361 wrote:
I found this on another website:

"While there is no currently FDA approved hpv test for men, the hpv test for women is a DNA test and DNA is not sex specific. It is called the Digene Hybrid Capture Test II. The test for women works for men too because a DNA test works on cells regardless of the "sex" of a cell. The DNA test has been used 1000s of times on men in clinical tests about various aspects of hpv. Its application to test men for hpv simply has not yet been widely spread in the clinical world."

There is no excuse not to test men. Women have the right to know if their partner has HPV. Women's groups need to be fighting for an FDA-approved test for men. That's the only way it'll happen.

This is absolutely true. Without question, men can be tested for high risk genital HPV. The problem is with the medical community. Many men want to be tested (myself included) but cannot find a doctor who is willing to test. I would also note the flipside to the problem is that, even though commercially available HPV tests exist for women, doctors do not routinely test women under 30 for HPV.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 am 

dmp1123 wrote:
Hi all-
I am posting for my dear boyfriend who I told last month that I had a positive high risk HPV test. It has been incredibly confusing since then-- I was under the impression that there is little risk to men with the high risk type, but on further research he found a ton of information about HPV being linked to throat cancer as a result of oral sex. How much of a risk is this? Is there a test for oral HPV? Can a man of 45 get a vaccine (he seems to think so but I have never heard this) Is oral sex without a barrier an impossibility for the rest of our lives?

The information is all so contradictory. I tend to be less alarmist and low-intervention about things, but my man is much more cautious and freaked out. What are reliable sources of information??!!

Thanks and looking forward to your response,
DMP1123

I am not sure if this board is much up-to-date anymore. But I am in the same situation as poster quoted above. In fact, I would like to take it a bit further. I have read everything on my high risk HPV and finally feel that I have a handle on it, and understand that as soon as you learn one thing there is something else to learn further that may even dispute what you previously hav learned.
My longterm boyfriend and myself of course share the HPV at this point. I was under the impression that when sharing the virus, there is no ping-ponging back and forth. Even further, I read that when you catch a strand of the virus, that strand cannot be ‘re-caught’/ping-pinged, etc. I told my Dr this, as I had to bring it up to him, and he said I am correct but who knows, and why don’t we try using condoms again for a little while as maybe it will help me/us clear the high risk HPV.

When I told my boyfriend that we have to start using condoms again (and that I was going to go off birth control so it was a good idea anyway!), this is what hit him the hardest, because I could not tell him for how long or really even why – since we both already have this thing. He is not only hurt that we have an STD, but he is also hurt that the woman he loves he cannot be intimate with without a condom. As we plan to spend the rest of our lives together, will we always have to use a condom?

Has any man been in this situation and do you have anything to offer to help me further learn?

Post subject: Re: NEW - MEN'S FORUM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Check out my response to this at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7366.

HPV is unlikely to necessitate a couple having to use condoms for the rest of their lives, but might have value over the short-term in helping clear the infection. Read more at the link above!

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:31 pm 

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the two vaccines coming in out the next couple of years : difference between CICRVAX6 vs. hspe7? I have read that CICRVAX6 is being created by Professor Ian Frazer the man behind the gardisal and cervarix. So with that being said there should be some comfort for a working product. However, it is only designed to treat certain strands of the hpv virus. Well, actually the same strands that his earlier vaccines treated against. I heard that may of 2012 it would hit the market. Not sure if that was in America or Australia. Then there is hspe7 that I have heard mixed things about. I have heard it is coming out next year or late this year and it clears all strands from the DNA. Then I have heard it only treats a few. And it takes up to 24months to fully work inside and outside of your body. Can someone tell me more about these two products. Like which one has a more promising cure. And is it a cure? I am really trying to stay positive and find out info. Also, what ever happened to this research AAV-2 kills HPV in 6 days without harming healthy cells? Please respond. I really need some help. Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Hi John,

Thanks for posting. I haven't heard any news about CICRVAX6 for awhile, so I'm not sure where they are in the research. You're right in that this vaccine is a tweaked version of Gardasil, and would be designed as a means of treating genital warts.

hspE7 vaccine is another one where I don't have recent news. Researchers were doing trials with this vaccine to see how well it worked in treating HPV-related lesions of the throat, as success there would have been a quick route to market for them. I'm sure the vaccine has potential with other HPV diseases, too, just not much to report. If you or anyone does find out anything, please post an update.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:42 pm 

I’m male, and in my 30’s. My doctor recently diagnosed me as having HPV-16 (high-risk) after seeing the lab results taken using a swab from what looked like an abnormal, slightly raised area of skin (best way to describe it - I was worried it may be a genital wart). There was no biopsy done, and only a swab specimen taken superficially. After asking, I was told that the test method used was "HPV Type-Detect 2.0 By Bio-Plex Analysis" by MDL Laboratories (www.mdlab.com). I called MD Lab, and they too confirmed that HPV testing can be done on men, as long as there is an abnormal area (wart, lesion, etc) to swab from. However, the following websites say that there is currently no method that exists for testing HPV in men:

1. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... isk/HPV#q7 (question # 7, last line, says "There are currently no approved tests to detect HPV infections in men.")
2. http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm (The section "Is there a test for HPV in men?" section says "Currently, there is no test to find HPV in men. The only approved HPV tests on the market are not useful for screening for HPV-related cancers or genital warts in men")
3. http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_men.cfm (The section "How are men screened for HPV?" says "there is no specific way to test directly for HPV in men that is approved for clinical use.")
4. http://www.thehpvtest.com/about-hpv/faq ... st-for-men (says “There is currently no FDA-approved test to detect HPV in men. That is because an effective, reliable way to collect a sample of male genital skin cells, which would allow detection of HPV, has yet to be developed.”)

MDL and my doctor confirmed it can be done (it is a DNA test), and is indeed an accurate method used to test for HPV in men (even though it might not be FDA approved) and all strains of HPV are detectable in men (high-risk, or low-risk). I'm not sure why the official health websites are saying that testing in men is not possible, but my doctor said that it could be that it is still in the process of being approved.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next