ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: just found out!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:17 am 

Fredo,
A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend went to the doctor because he had small spots on his penis. The doctor told him he probably had hpv,gave him medicine for the outbreaks and told him that i needed to get a pap smear. Well did that... and everything came back normal... what now?? I am going to get the guardasil shot next week and we have been using condoms ever since he saw the spots, but there was about a month before that where we didnt use protection. Is it possible they havent shown up yet or have already passed? We have been together for almost 5 years but about 8 months ago we split up and both had different partners. How long do i have to wait after i get the guardasil shots to be safe? and what about oral? if he performs oral can i get it? or if i perform oral can i get it? Is it safe to still have sex if we use comdoms? Am i safe to have unprotected sex with him if he doesnt have an outbreak?

Post subject: Re: just found out!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:03 am 

At this point getting your gardasil shots are probably the proverbial putting the cart before the horse to be honest. No way to know which one of you contracted hpv during your break but odds are you have been infected even though you haven't seen obvious warts yet. Not going to hurt to get them but their benefit from the type of hpv your partner has is limited at this point. Putting on the condom when the clothes come off ( not just waiting until actual penetration ) has been shown to reduce transmission of hpv by 90% so keep on using them if you are concerned about hpv transmission just in case you don't already have it. the gardasil shots take 6 months to get them all and to get the maximum amount of protection. gardasil does protect against 4 types of hpv - including the 2 most commonly associated with progressing to cervical cancer types. If you've already been infected with any of the types of hpv included in the vaccine, they won't help get rid of it.

external warts like your bf has are just a cosmetic issue and not a health risk ( pap tests don't check for external hpv infections, just the types of hpv that cause symptoms on the cervix - terrific info on hpv on the main asha site for more reading too ). do you know what cream he was prescribed?

did you both also cover your bases with testing for other std's, including genital herpes since you both had other partners during your break?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]