ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:03 pm 

I posted a few months ago when I was first diagnosed and I had a million and one questions. I've accepted the diagnosis a bit more over the last few months, and I'm still confused but not as freaked out. I have both high and low risk strains, but apparently both are fairly mild. My first follow-up pap didn't show any progression, and the doctor just recommended that I continue with the plan of 4 paps this year and 2 next year... so good news, I guess?

I went in today to consult with the doctor about treating the GWs. Like everybody else here, it seems like I get nothing but conflicting info, even from doctors/NPs in the same practice! The first NP suggested TCA, but because of my insurance ($50 per visit) I calculated that it would probably cost me $300-400 worth of visits before they cleared. Aldara was also recommended, but is very expensive, and I am worried about damaging the surrounding tissue because most of the GWs are so small, or are flat warts - I just don't trust my ability to get the cream in the right spots! Another NP, suggested I just leave them be if they didn't bother me because they weren't that bad. Anyway, the doc told me I could go for laser treatment, but that the recovery is very painful and I'd probably be in serious pain for 2 weeks and would have to take a week off work, not to mention meeting my $1200 deductible plus additional costs. He mentioned as an afterthought that he could treat me with cryo, and that the lidocaine shot would definitely sting, but that recovery would be pretty quick - also because it can be done in the office instead of in a surgery suite (like the laser treatment) it would be much cheaper.

My question is - can anyone tell me about their experiences with cryo and lidocaine shots? How painful is it? Did you have to have multiple treatments or did one seem to do it?

Another thing that the doc mentioned when I asked about transmission, was that it's really not a big deal (they're very nonchalant about it at this practice, as it seems a lot of people's doctors have been on this site) and most everyone has it. He said it just depends on the person whether they'll ever manifest any symptoms. He also told me he had a patient that was "covered in warts all over her bottom" and had been married for 20 years and her husband had never had a wart! This is just crazy to me. He even said at one point after telling me all this "I know, it's clear as mud, isn't it?"

Thanks for reading, and any comments or answers to my cryo questions are more than welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi sputniksweetheart,

Thanks for following-up with us. Cryotherapy - "freezing" warts by applying liquid nitrogen - is a pretty common method to remove warts, one of the more popular therapies used these days. Cryo is also used to remove warts from many different skin areas. There is usually some stinging associated with the application of the liquid nitrogen. I don't know how much discomfort is involved in the healing process; probably not as much as with the surgical methods of removal, although the skin in the area that was frozen tends to blister and break off from deeper tissue layers. I think it depends on how many warts, how large a surface area, and all that.

Laser isn't used as commonly these days, and I think it's reserved more for warts that are large in either volume or size, or when other treatments haven't worked so well. It's not typically a first-choice treatment, although in some cases it might be indicated.

Hopefully someone who has had the procedure can weigh in and offer insight.

Fredo

The first NP suggested TCA, but because of my insurance ($50 per visit) I calculated that it would probably cost me $300-400 worth of visits before they cleared. Aldara was also recommended, but is very expensive, and I am worried about damaging the surrounding tissue because most of the GWs are so small, or are flat warts - I just don't trust my ability to get the cream in the right spots! Another NP, suggested I just leave them be if they didn't bother me because they weren't that bad. Anyway, the doc told me I could go for laser treatment, but that the recovery is very painful and I'd probably be in serious pain for 2 weeks and would have to take a week off work, not to mention meeting my $1200 deductible plus additional costs. He mentioned as an afterthought that he could treat me with cryo, and that the lidocaine shot would definitely sting, but that recovery would be pretty quick - also because it can be done in the office instead of in a surgery suite (like the laser treatment) it would be much cheaper.

My question is - can anyone tell me about their experiences with cryo and lidocaine shots? How painful is it? Did you have to have multiple treatments or did one seem to do it?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]