ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:35 pm 

So, almost a year ago I was diagnosed with Low risk HPV. When I had my first outbreak they were close to the head of my penis and in the middle between my base and tip and then on my lower left side on my base. So I had them frozen off and started using aldera. Now, since then, I have had no reaccuring warts in any other place but that lower left side at the base of my penis. Is there any reason why they are only reaccuring there and nowhere else? They are reaccuring in like pen tip sized, which is frustrating in itself because often times, I cant see them until I go to the doctor. Also, I feel like Aldera doesnt seem to helping? Is there anything else I can ask my doctor to prescribe me? Oi, I wish this was over already. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your post.

It's hard to say for sure why the recurrences are happening only in one spot and not the others. Part of the body's response to HPV occurs in the cells directly where the virus is established, so perhaps it has something to do with the immune system doing a better job of responding in some cells than others.

Besides Aldara, the other product prescribed for patients to apply themselves is Condylox gel or cream. Aldara has a unique means of working in that it stimulates an immune response in the affected cells, along the lines of what I mentioned above. Aldara has also been shown to reduce recurrences.

I know this is so frustrating for you, and of course you ask yourself "When's it going to end!?" You're very normal in that regard, and I'm sorry this is such a pain to deal with. In most cases the immune system clears HPV over time, but it's hard to predict for sure when this will happen and "getting there" can make you want to pull your hair out!

Hang in there and I hope you'll post here whenever you have a chance.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:25 pm 

well I guess I can consider that a good thing that its not reappearing in other areas.. maybe my body is fighting it off. meh. Anyway, I really appreciate your advice. Im more of a lurker here, but from what ive seen you've been really helpful to everyone. I think it's nice to be able to go somewhere where you can get answers, even if they arent the ones u want. again, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Glad to help when I can. Check in again sometime if you have a chance.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]