ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:21 pm 

Hello. Please help me understand hpv more through the following questions:
1. can hpv be transmitted through daily contact with non-infected hpv (eg sharing spoons/kitchenwares, sharing food, sharing towels, blood donation, etc...) and sharing things with them?
2. how long does the virus stay active outside the body? (eg doorknobs, towels, etc..)
3. how do you know if you're infected with high rish or low risk?
4. what sanitizers/alcohol can be used to sanitize hands after using the bathroom to prevent spreading the virus
5. does the virus clears itself from the body / can a person say she/he is hpv free?
6. what supplements can be recommended for immunity boost?
7. can it be passed through genital-to-hand or hand-to-hand or hand-to-genital? (though i what i know that it is passed through genital-to-genital contact)
8. can you get stds/hpvs in public toilets?
9. where can we learn more about stds? I mean on the behaviour of the virus.

I recently found out that I'm infected with hpv (genital according to the OB). I was shocked beacuse I didn't expect that I would get it. My second doc cauterized the warts, but it keeps coming back! My pap test showed only mild inflammation (what is it?). I feel dirty and beginning to lose hope because I'm worried that I may infect others unknowingly...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Hello. Please help me understand hpv more through the following questions:

1. can hpv be transmitted through daily contact with non-infected hpv (eg sharing spoons/kitchenwares, sharing food, sharing towels, blood donation, etc...) and sharing things with them? Don't worry about sharing household objects, using the toilet/shower, or donating blood. These things are not a risk for transmission of HPV in genital skin. Before letting someone use a bath towel that dried the genital area where lesions are present, it might be a good idea to wash it. This is a precaution only, no serious risk here and don't worry about it at all if this has already occured. Essentially, if you're not having sex with someone, they aren't at risk.

2. how long does the virus stay active outside the body? (eg doorknobs, towels, etc..)
Don't worry about this; just refer to what I wrote above.

3. how do you know if you're infected with high rish or low risk?

Usually this is indicated by the nature of the diagnosis. Warts are almost always "low risk" types of HPV, whereas abnormal Paps where you hear terms like "dysplasia, SIL, CIN, abnormal cell changes, etc" are usually due to "high risk" HPV. Keep in mind the term "high risk" is somewhat alarmist, as even a "high risk" infection is seldom dangerous, rarely leads to cancer, and will usually clear on its own. The most important thing is to continue having follow-up exams as recommended.

4. what sanitizers/alcohol can be used to sanitize hands after using the bathroom to prevent spreading the virus.

No need to do anything special here. Just wash your hands as you normally would.

5. does the virus clears itself from the body / can a person say she/he is hpv free?

Usually clears in 6-24 months, but can remain latent. It's uncommon for someone to have long-term issues with HPV, though.

6. what supplements can be recommended for immunity boost?

Hmm, nothing too specific here. Some experts suggest making sure you get enough B vitamins and beta-carotene. A multivitamin might be good, along with not smoking, getting enough rest, managing stress, and good general practices to take care of yourself.

7. can it be passed through genital-to-hand or hand-to-hand or hand-to-genital? (though i what i know that it is passed through genital-to-genital contact)

In general, hand-to-genital (or vice-versa) contact poses little risk with HPV. It is probably possible that inserting fingers into the anus can introduce HPV there, so maybe a good idea not to do that after an HPV diagnosis.

8. can you get stds/hpvs in public toilets?

Nope!

9. where can we learn more about stds? I mean on the behaviour of the virus.

What you're asking about is termed the natural history of HPV. Read more at
http://www.merckmedicus.com/pp/us/hcp/d ... istory.jsp

Hope this helps.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]