ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:27 pm 

Hey guys and hope all is well. It's been a long time since I am in Grad School and loving my relationship with someone who cares for me and has accepted my herpes and HPV situation. We have been talking about getting closer and doing the bedroom tango, "mechanical cowgirl ride" OK you get the idea and we will use Latex male condoms. However I was wondering are there any options for birth control pill I could use. Any advice will help. I'm also on high blood pressure medicine, just HCTZ, a water pill only. It seems as if my choices are very very very slim. I've never had children before so if you guys are taking any options or know of any options that I could consider that will be great. I've also made an appointment with my OB/GYN to discuss if any options are available for someone in my situation. We are also talking about marriage after I graduate and will discuss having children at that time.

I can't believe he is ok with my situation and it really doesn't bother him. He has also spoken with his doctor about options so we know we are most certainly using condoms. Also I've also heard that trojan magnum condoms are not as durable as others. How true is that.

Thanks guys for your conituned help, love, support and prayers of all kinds. I would be lost if it wasn;t for this dicussion board. It has made me a stronger person :mrgreen:
Isis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:59 pm 

I don't know of any specific brands that tear easier than other. I know trojan does lots of testing on their products. Be sure to use lube with condoms, reduces the risk of breaking and increases sensation for you and your partner ( a few drops on him, a lot on the outside of the condom for you ).

you thinking bc pill or you thinking non-hormonal options like the cervical cap, diaphram, sponge, iud?

glad things are still going well with your hunka hunka burnin' love :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:27 pm 

Hi Betsey,

It's been five years since any action so I'm so lost with options. Ok Trojan got it. Lubes got it. From me having high blood pressure, but controlled, BC pill may not be an option but do you know of any women with high blood pressure who take pills? I took them in the past and those were great plus I didn't have problems remembering to take them plus they were so much easier than other forms. I've heard about the mini pill so I was hoping the doctor would consider me taking that since it doesn't have amounts of estrogen. I've heard a lot about the IUD but unsure about it. I was thinking maybe a non hormonal option. My big sis likes the VCF films but those are only spermicide right. I'm just trying to learn about as many options as I possibly can for myself. As far as ease of use a cervical cap doesn't sound too difficult. Decisions Decisons. Anything reversible would be my biggest concern.

Yep my teddybear and I are still going strong. He hates when I call him that! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:14 am 

spermicides can increase transmission of std's so I'd avoid just using one of those.

I tried using a cervical cap once but my little snausage fingers had trouble getting it in and out....lol. Not everyone has teeny fingers like me though.

Most of the time they'll still put you on the pill. definitely worth talking to your gyn about.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:21 pm 

Well came back from the OB/Gyn and it looks like my only option will be condoms and maybe spermicide. Not crazy on the spermicide due to its side effects. At any rate my partner and I are not trying to reproduce any foreign ufos(unidentified family objects) until I graduate from Grad School. So here's another question and I know I should know this but like I said before it's been five years since this Dallas Cowgirl rode put on her ten gallon hat and took a spin on the "mechanical bull", but what is the pregnancy prevention rate of condoms in general. They will be used correctly and consistently because I want to make sure I can protect my partner from the HSV virus.

Thanks Betsey for your help. Wedding bells will be ringing soon too :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:30 pm 

Well wedding bells are always a good thing :) set a date yet?

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health ... -10187.htm

you weren't interested in the cervical cap or anything?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:51 am 

Well we are looking at dates and I did ask my dcotor about the diaphragm and the cervical cap but that's where we conflicted. I was fine with being fitted but for some other reason or another the doctor was saying it was bulky, the partner can sometimes dislodge it and it can be felt and can be uncomfortable and using a condom and spermicide may be enough because I did have bad incidents of cervicits in the past due to polycystic ovaries and allergic reactions to perfumed soaps I was using :cry: . That part sucks plus I think my OB/GYN wants me to have a baby before 40.That's fine but let that be my choice.Just my thoughts. I'm okay with using condoms and spermicides but my doctor did give me emergency contraception in case there was condom leakage or breakage or slippage. SHEEESH it's tough being a woman :? I've never had a reaction with condoms or spermicide from what I can tell. I know condoms are a MUST-NO COMPROMISES!! He's even bought a bulk supply from one of the main sites that supply. A little weird kinda overly joyous for him but I can deal with it. Now where do you store 200 condoms? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 pm 

I'd put a nice candy dish on the coffee table and fill it with condoms.....he he he

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 pm 

omgoodness, you two are crackin' me up- Just my input on the bc issue- I hated the VCF film-thing-stuff- every time I tried to use it, it would get stuck on my finger! lol And there was another one, I think it was the suppository-bullet-looking-thing (suppository the right word? or is that just for the back door?), came in a grey box...? BURNED!!!! But that was years ago, so maybe they've changed something... I did have some good luck with some pre-filled applicators, came in a blue box, I think like 10-20 at a time...?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:32 pm 

At least we aren't still putting dried alligator dung up there as birth control like in times long past :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:56 pm 

Been a long time since I logged in due to graduate classes but Betsey, your comment made my day. ROTFLMBO :lol: You know what I'm gonna find ancient birthcontrol methods and post them in my next reply. Any guy would be turned off to see your"special place" coated with an even layer of that stuff!!!! yuckies :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 pm 

I believe they used to use honey too as a barrier.

lots of other old interesting reading out there :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]