ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: National Registry
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:20 pm 

I was just wondering is there a national registry that has the names of persons who are or have been in the past infected with an STD? I have abstained from sexual intercourse for many years and am thinking of 'courting' with the potential for marriage; before I get in too deep and have to make some serious decisions I would like to ask my partner the names of everyone he has ever slept with I would like to then take the list of names somewhere and check if any of those people has ever had an STD HIV HSV II or anything can I do this at the health department or somewhere? Please respond any assistance will be appreciated; thanks.

Post subject: Re: National Registry
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:15 pm 

or I guess we both could just get fully screened but it still may help me to know about past activities

Post subject: Re: National Registry
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Hi ladycharm (great name, by the way),

There is no such national registry, and I'd be very wary were you to find a resource that claims to offer any sort of comprehensive data base in this regard.

The problem, well one of them, is that many STIs are not diagnosed and when they are, typically do not involve individual name reporting. About 85% of HSV cases are undiagnosed, and as many as 25% of these with HIV are estimated to not be aware. "Reporting" usually means just forwarding along number of diagnosed cases per locale, not a list of names. Keep in mind, too, that just because someone's ex has/had an STI doesn't mean their partner contracted it. If it's a bacterial STI (like chlamydia, gonorrhea, or syphilis), the infection can be cured with proper treatment.

Your idea of going for STI testing is a good one. Talk with your health care provider to see what they recommend. Any battery of tests should include HIV and probably chlamydia.

This resource is geared more towards college students, but has good STI testing info all the same and includes a section on talking with a partner:
http://www.itsyoursexlife.com/gyt?utm_source=gytnow

I hope this helps. Post again anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]