ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need Help ASAP
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:20 pm 

Hi,
So i have had genital herpes for almost a year and a half, I got it from my long term boyfriend at the time. We broke up a while ago and I had sex with a new person, the first person since having it (other than the person who gave it to me). Anyways, we used protection (a condom) but when I woke up the next morning I noticed that I had an outbreak starting, which I totally did not feel coming on. I never told this person about my herpes and now I really don't know what to do. What the chances are I transmitted it? etc.
Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Need Help ASAP
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:35 pm 

Could you have been shedding the virus at the time you had sex?yes you could've. No way to know for sure. You used a condom so that does help somewhat too. Really not much you can do when a recurrence sneaks up on you like that :(

betsy

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 pm 

Thanks, not overly uplifting.
So basically I just need to be a sitting duck and wait if this guy tells me something is up?
I feel terrible that I could have given this to someone after the terrible emotional/mental time I have been having with it.
Also, I know you can't give me an overly realisitic answer but what do u think the chances are, like percentage wise, that I gave it to him.
I also have hsv 1 genitally if that makes a difference
and there was no genital to genital contact prior the condom being put on
thanks so much
this site has been really informative, and much more uplifting than most of the other availble resources

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:20 pm 

Another thing,
clearly sleeping with him before having the "talk" was irresposible and selfish, but now that I have done this - possibly infected him - i don't know how I could move on to tell him that I do in fact have herpies (which I intended to do because I would like to persue a relationship with him). I know that this isn't like therapy but do u have any suggestions to this subseqent problem I am having
Thanks again,
I really appreciate your honest responses!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:28 pm 

Why not just talk to this guy about it all instead of waiting and worrying? is this something you think might turn into a relationship or just one of those it seemed like a good idea at the time things?

betsy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:29 pm 

well...i don't want to introduce our relationship with "i think i may have given you herpes"
i would rather, now abstain from having any sexual contact, till i am not worries i gave it to him & then can give the him the talk.
i know many sites say 90% of people don't even know they have it because of having mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, but when do the majority of individuals start having symptoms?
it 'happened' on wednesday and it is now sunday...
thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:32 pm 

also,
kind of unrelated, if i have herpes 1 genitally and someone else has herpes 1 orally can i spread it to their genitals?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:25 am 

Having hsv1 orally gives you significant protection against contracting hsv1 genitally. It's not 100% but it's up there.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]