ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Herpes???
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:32 pm 

Hello, Im new to the board and had a few questions.

My doctor planted to idea of herpes and I have been freaking out about it since. I have had tested twice for HSV1 (both negative .16 &.09) and for HSV2 (ngative .22), approximately 3 months after possible exposure if I was exposed. The concern is because I have had the following symptoms:

Orally: swelling of my lips/edges of my lips (as if irritated or inflamed), tingling from my nose, jaw, down front of neck (similar to when your face gets feeling back after a visit to the dentist), sometimes looks like a welp under my bottom lip. I get one of these symptons at least a few days out the week consistenly for the last couple of months. I dont understand it. But no sore, no cold sore, nothing, just a swelling or irritated feeling.

Genitally: Occasionally like a papercut but I dont see anything there. In the last month or so I have felt pain, different types. Sometimes like a pimple is coming underneath the skin (pain) and sometimes like a chemical is burning the skin or something. For example, dont know if this has ever happened to you, but if you've ever had toothpaste on you skin how it cools and leaves kind of a cool/tingling sensation. These too will last maybe 3 days. Becoming OCD about I check with a mirror all the time but see nothing. Im honestly not sure if Im feeling all of this because there's something wrong or because my mind is looking for something to be wrong.

So, could this be HSV 2 or is there something else I should be considering? I feared maybe prodrome symptoms but how could they last this long and still nothing.

Also, I've seen you mention before "low positive", what does that mean? Do the levels change time? Should I be concerned that the HSV2 .22 could go up?

My doctor said that I dont need to test any further for the HSV 1 or 2. I just want to be sure.

Please advice me.

Post subject: Re: Herpes???
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:55 pm 

your test results are negative. testing negative twice for hsv1 makes it likely that you don't have hsv1 either ( the blood tests we have aren't as good at picking up hsv1 as hsv2 but the odds of really having it with multiple negative tests increases the odds that the negatives are true negatives ).

Your symptoms can be due to many different things. At this point it's time to stop thinking herpes. your pattern of symptoms also is not consistent with oral herpes either.

Have you seen a dermatologist at all? Also you might want to start keeping a food diary too along with your symptoms to see if you can determine if this is some sort of allergic reactions. also be careful of lip products and toothpastes too.

Have you been tested for yeast and bacterial infections genitally too?

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:34 pm 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

No I havent been tested for any bacteria/yeast genitally. I have had these infections before but it does not feel like that, but I will definitely check into it. I did see a dermotologist and when I described my symptoms to him he immediately thought herpes too but was at a lost for words when the test were negative. Could it possibly be HSV2 orally? Do my symptoms suggest that in any way?

Orally, I notice the edges of my lips seem to be easily aggetated (turn red/inflame). Sometimes this will last for days or just a few hours. Weird. Genitally I still have these same sensations but nothing visible. I can point to an area but nothing is red, no sore, nothing raised, nothing.

My doctor said that I dont need to retest. Do you suggest the same? At what point should I stop testing?

Please excuse my anxiety, not knowing/understanding my body right now has me uneasy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:28 am 

you've tested twice now. I don't recommend more testing at this point for this.

start the food /symptom diary and see if that helps. Perhaps by writing it down you'll figure out some triggers so you can start to avoid them Many things that cause oral and genital issues at the same time.

Continue to follow up with the dermatologist regularly as needed too.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:43 pm 

I have both dermo & gyn appts this week, still a bit concerned. Over the weekend I had the same sensation in my bikini area The area was flat/normal but I noticed the more I rubbed it it seemed to raise/inflame (this was done at bedtime). When I woke the next morning there was a sharp stinging in this area. When I looked closely (realllly closely because it was so tiny) it looked like a small cut across the top, but the inflamation had gone down drastically. This was about 3 days ago. Intermitently it will sting/ache.

Does this sound like herpes? Does it start with a sensation that inflames when you harass it? Is that how the blisters are formed?

What other things are commonly mistaken for herpes? What should I ask to be tested for?

This recent thing has me growing in anxiety

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:07 pm 

Betsy,

Could you please advice in the area. I am growing in concern and have been unable to see a doctor as of late. Please share your thoughts

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 pm 

You really need to be seen when you have symptoms and get a proper work up done. I really don't have anything to add at this point.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:38 am 

Well Betsy just to follow up, I had a complete lab work up done (blood and vaginal culture) and everything was negative. My HSV levels were: HSV1 .11 and HSV2 .25. I went up a few points from last time but very minimal. Both my dermo and gyn based off symptoms I told them thought Herpes but said I must not have it because I continue to test negative.

Its been 3 months since my LAST possible exposure and 7 months from my FIRST possible exposure. Any chance its just not showing up yet. What else can I test for if this is not possible? Im starting to feel like a sitting duck.....one thats freaking out with no answers.

Please HELP

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:44 pm 

It's time to stop thinking herpes as a cause.

continue to follow up with your providers when you have symptoms as needed.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:06 pm 

Oh Betsy, Im trying to stop thinking herpes as the cause....I reallllly am. But its difficult. All of my test results continue to return negative for everything which is good...but still very confusing. Today I was looking around down there where I felt soreness and saw 2 small areas which when I examined further started to bleed. Do herpes infections bleed? Its an area that feels sore and has for several weeks now. This is the first time I've seen anything.

I really dont know what to do.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:23 am 

Honestly there's not much else I can do to help you. you've tested consistently negative for herpes.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:33 pm 

Betsy,

Im back again seeking direction. I still continue to test negative for herpes and all other general STDS checked for. However I still have burning sensations, pain, and it appears occasionally raised/inflamed areas. In addition I have these same sensations around the borders of my lips. I dont know what to do and Im growing in frustration, isolation and my self esteem is going down hill. I dont know whats wrong with me and the doctors aren't offering much direction. PLEASE tell me if there are more things to consider. Exzema? Medical condition? Allergy? Im affraid to even kiss because I dont know whats going on with me and my self esteem is plummeting big time.

Please help me!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:14 am 

you know it's not herpes.

you need to continue follow up with a dermatologist for your symptoms at this point. take your food/symptom diary with you so that together you can try to see if there are any things that could be causing these.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]