ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:03 pm 

Does sucking nipples and breasts for few minutes of HIV infected women with ulcers in my mouth pose any threat for HIV transmission? not sure whether the breasts had cuts or no, and not sure if any fluid came out of the nipples or no.

Your quick answer is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:01 am 

this isn't going to result in hiv infection.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 am 

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you please elaborate more since I am too much concerned and worried.

I am thinking of getting tested. But I need to wait 90 days to do that. Wow, I do not know how I am going to wait this long to get tested. It is really painfull. Could you please help me thru this.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:08 am 
Site Admin

I agree with Betsy and, like you, appreciate her for responding so quickly. Nipple sucking in the context you describe is not regarded as an HIV risk. Where this comes up is when HIV+ women breastfeed newborns for an extended period, which of course involves ingesting large quantities of breast milk over a long period of time. As an example, HIV+ women who breastfeed for two or more years increase the risk of transmission to their infants three-fold compared to those breastfeeding for six months. See http://www.unicef.org/programme/breastfeeding/hiv.htm for more about this.

The key factors here are ingesting breast milk over an extended period, and what you're describing does not fit this profile. Never a bad idea for any sexually active person to test for HIV, but don't lose sleep over the exposure described in your post.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 am 

Thanks for your reply. Very kind of you.

My only worry that i had ulcers in my mouth during this sextual activiy. Would that be a source for transmission to my blood stream?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:53 am 
Site Admin

You're certainly welcome. No one can tell you the risk is zero, but nothing you've described (including the ulcers) seems a prime risk for HIV infection.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]