ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Supression dosage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:00 am 

I have been taking 2 acyclovir (one morning, one night). While on the medication, I have occasionally had tingling or itching at the usual eruption site, but not an actual outbreak.

Question 1: Does the tingling/itching mean anything--shedding or an aborted oubreak?
Question 2: For a vacation, romantic weekend, or taking care of my infant niece, would taking three a day provide extra suppression of sheeding of possible outbreak?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Supression dosage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:03 pm 

genital herpes is a sexually transmitted infection. you will not transmit it to your infant niece. we don't have that sort of contact with children.

how often are you feeling tingling and itching?

no harm in upping to the ob dose to try to "ward off" an ob during special times like vacations and stuff if you want.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:00 pm 

The tingly-itchy thing isn't terribly common. Sometimes go for months without it. It seems more common in very hot weather (especially if I sweat a lot) or when I have dry skin in winter. But I haven't been keeping a record.

Regarding my niece... of course she is not in contact with the area of breakouts. I am careful about handwashing, too. I have read repeately that herpes cannot be transmitted by inanimate objects, then I read that one should be careful of sharing towels and the virus can live in damp/warm conditions. I'm probably being hypervigilant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 pm 

In theory you could transmit it through someone else using your towel but in reality it's not likely to happen. What are the odds even if active virus was on your towel of someone using that exact same spot to vigorously towel themselves off? If it was that easy, 99% of us would have hsv1 orally from wiping our mouths on hand towels in our house bathrooms. In general though everyone in a household should have their own bath towel, wash cloth, tooth brush and razor - for the reason that many very common germs are easily transmitted through sharing them.

just itching here and there could be related to your herpes being active or it could be any number of things. Kind of hard to put your finger on it. typically itching in 1 area can be related to herpes but overall genital itching isn't. does that make any sense?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]