ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:27 am 

I just got out of a 5 year relationship. My former GF was diagnosed with high risk HPV (abnormal pap smear) 4 years ago. She got the cells frozen off and has had normal Paps since then. I know I have been exposed. I didn't worry too much about it at the time I was in a serious relationship, but now I am a little worried.

I know males generally show no signs. Are there ever Genital warts associated with any high-risk hpv type? I know there is no approved test, but what about unapproved tests?

I talked with my doctor about it and he was very nonchalant about it. He said I have nothing to worry about, specifically after about 24 months. Is it safe to assume I am HPV free since its been 4 years? Or should i disclose this information to future partners anyway?

I just want to make sure I don't unwittingly transmit this to anyone since I at least know I was exposed at one time and probably still carry the virus or maybe it has "cleared"...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 pm 

Welcome to the board :)

Your doctor is spot on - this isn't likely to be an issue for you at this point. Not sure of your age but did you have your gardasil shots? did you and your gf use condoms?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:34 am 

Thanks for the reply. We did have unprotected sex, so I am sure I was exposed. I was wondering about Gardasil. I am 28 and the shot is said to be for people under 26. Would it still be wise for me to get it?

I had a physical recently and a very small wart was found on the shaft. Hence the question about whether High-risk HPV causes warts.

I went to the dermatologist and have had it removed and sent for testing. The dermatologist said that it could be another strain, and she doesn't believe that it was a sexually transmitted type. I am prone to warts on my feet. She said sometimes those types can appear anywhere. Is that really true?

She had the same attitude about people blowing HPV out of proportion that other doctors have had, and she said that most have been exposed to it. And, the pap smear and now the vaccine are the real preventative measures.

To me, cancer is serious and I would like to make sure that I am not responsible for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:00 pm 

have you had any new partners since your prior one?

the types of hpv that infect the hands and feet, typically do not infect the genitals.

you've had a high risk hpv partner as well as obvious warts so at this point probably too late for gardasil to really be the most helpful for you. Not going to be worth paying for gardasil out of pocket at this point which would be what you have to do.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:46 am 

Thanks Betsy. All I can do now is wait on the biopsy results...

There has been no sexual contact with anyone besides my ex.

I guess my real concern now is transmission to future partners.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Betsy's comments are all on target, nothing much to add. "High risk" HPV rarely causes visible lesions in men and when they do, the diagnosis is usually of something other than warts. Not impossible, but very improbable. 90% of genital warts come from two "low risk" types alone.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]