ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: new to board and to HPV
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:42 pm 

Hi everyone!
First of all, wow... what a supportive environment. I was so happy to stumble across it in my Internet searches. Everything else was freaking me out to the max so I am glad that this exists.
OK, my story... I was diagnosed two weeks ago with HPV/cervical dysplasia/ CIN 1 and have my colposcopy appointment next week. I am not sure where I got it from. I have only slept with two men and with both we used condoms every time. I did have a sexual encounter with a friend with the GW strain (involving finger insertion only and one light genital brush) but I described exactly what happened to my doctor and he said it's unlikely it was passed that way. (I am understanding that hand-to-genital contact is not common- Fredo, could you clarify?)
I suppose my main concern at this moment is whether or not I am going to break out with warts. I know it may seem like a selfish concern but I have really bad anxiety problems. I found a skin tag the other day and although I know they can be completely unrelated I had a terrible anxiety attack and could barely function for the rest of the day.
Fredo, is it still thought that the type of pap result I had is associated only with the "high-risk" (non-wart) type? What are the odds that someone with this result will develop visible warts?
I am extremely lucky to have supportive family and friends and this message board to talk to people. You all are making me realize that it's not the end of the world. :)
Hope to hear back, and thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:54 pm 

welcome to the board :)

Condoms reduce the transmission of hpv by 90% IF they are applied when clothing comes off. most people wait until actual time of insertion to put on the condom which can leave you vulnerable to hpv infection. You can transmit it hands to genitals but the risk is lower. You might never figure out who you got it from and when. Your provider is doing the proper follow up which typically results in the hpv not progressing much farther. You didn't mention if your hpv was high risk or low risk - depending on the lab depends if they automatically test for both or just look for high risk hpv. When you return for your colposcopy, ask if the lab indicated high risk or low risk. thankfully 92% of all hpv infections clear themselves within 2 years so odds really are in your favor. your provider will deal with any obvious areas on your cervix they see during the colposcopy ( or make arrangements to do so with a LEEP ) and if they see nothing when they are doing the procedure, they will continue to have you return for regular follow ups to keep an eye on things. Did you have your gardasil shots?

typically the types of hpv that cause cervical cell changes don't cause obvious warts. Have your provider check out your skin tag when you are there in 2 weeks for more peace of mind . You can have more than 1 type of hpv infecting you at a time.

hang in there - it's so stressful to hear that you had an abnormal pap test and I know once you start reading online sometimes all you can find is the "gloom and doom" type info/posts. Prompt detection and treatment is the way to go and really does keep the odds so much in your favor :)

Keep us updated on your colposcopy results too!

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:30 am 

Hey gal12! Welcome to the board! I was first diagnosed with HPV last year. I also had to have my first colposcopy and LEEP last summer. This board was very helpful for someone like me...completely clueless about it all! Unfortunately, I had to have another colposcopy today. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here for you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:24 pm 

hi guys!
I thought I should post an update. Thanks for the responses! I had my colposcopy about 3 weeks ago, and although it was slightly painful it went fine otherwise. The part that hurt the most (a "pinch", you could say) was the biopsy (he took 4 samples). For my followup he told me that I have mild dysplasia, provided a prescription for folic acid, and told me to come back in 6 months for a re-check. He said the odds are in my favour that it will eventually clear by itself. (And something like 92% statistically, as I understand.)
Last week I had a panicked few days when I found a little bump on one of my labia (as you might remember, I don't know if I have the "wart" kind or not although I haven't had any skin symptoms). I put a dab of vinegar on it and nothing happened (does anyone know how reliable of a test that is?). I went in to see him and he put my mind at ease by telling me he was glad I came in instead of sitting at home worryiing about it. (I am from Canada, and it's a very different attitude there). He also said it might have been an ingrown hair or a pimple but not a wart after examining it. It's still there this week so I don't know if I should be concerned or just try to forget about it... he gave it a good look so I am fairly confident he would have noticed if it was anything more serious. What do you guys think?
Thanks again!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]