ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Who gave to whom?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:25 pm 

I was in a three year relationship that is/has ended badly. At the begginning of the relationship she devoloped herpes simplex 2. Turns out I had it as well. The blood tests given at the time and explained to me that since I had a higher count (don't remember the count) I more than likely gave herpes to her. The last three woman I was with which covered a span of at least 4 years all said they they did not have herpes and had been tested since we had last been together. I myself was tested about 5 years ago and was negative.

Is it fact that I gave it to her? Does the blood test with a higher result indicate I have had more time to devolop anibodies? Ultimately it does not matter, but it is being thrown in my face that I gave it to her knowingly, which is an absolute falsehood.

My next step is to learn how to date with herpes, looking forward to enganging with others on the site.

Post subject: Re: Who gave to whom?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:55 am 

The higher the igg has absolutely no meaning as to how long you were infected.

did your former gf also have a blood test at the time of her + lesion culture?

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:11 pm 

She had a blood test but I am not sure if the lesion was tested specifically.

So if I understand your response to my question, if both parties were not aware of carrying the herpes virus at the time they enganged in sexual activity, there is no way to determine who gave it to the other? I do understand from my reading that it is more than likely that the male infects the female.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, I am just trying to alleviate my guilt.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:42 pm 

when she had her lesion appear, how long after that did you have your blood test done and she had hers?

the only way to know who had it first would be if at the first sign of a lesion, both partners had blood test done and the partner with the lesion was negative on the igg and + on the lesion culture for the type the other partner has. for example say you and I were dating and I woke up this morning, told you I had sores on my genitals that I thought looked like herpes and you and I went to clinic together. I get a lesion culture done that comes back hsv2+ but my blood test is hsv2 igg negative. Your blood test taken the same day is hsv2 igg +. then I know that I got hsv2 from you. If both our blood tests came back as hsv2 igg + though, absolutely no way to know who had it first or even if we both had it prior to meeting each other and never knew it. make more sense?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]