ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: TCA - owowow!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 am 

Anyone had any experience with this particular method of treatment? I've scoured the internet, and can't seem to find information on:
-How long the healing process takes (cryo I was fine in 3-4 days, this is day 3 and I'm in crazy bad pain still)
-Whether or not my skin will ever look normal again!

My derm's responses to these questions was rather vague - "This area heals very quickly, and you won't have any scarring." It's difficult to imagine that's true given how awful I look right now.

I feel like cryo is a very targeted air strike, while TCA is more of the nuclear bomb option. While cryo only hurt for maybe 30 minutes, this is the never ending pain of a thousand suns, making it difficult to move, eat, bathroom, etc.

Help! :/

Post subject: Re: TCA - owowow!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:07 pm 

I had two TCA treatments for internal GW after giving up on Aldara. It did hurt like crazy, and I was worried that things would never become normal. It took 3 or 4 weeks, but the tissue does look normal now, and no evidence of a recurrence.

Hang in there!

Gail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:06 am 

Hey Gail-

Thanks for responding. It feels good to know there will be a positive conclusion; it helps give me something to focus on (it's really difficult for me to think ahead when in crisis).

Again, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:48 pm 

MEH. It's been two weeks, and the GW are back, worse than ever. I actually had my partner hide the mirror, because every time I check I burst into tears. I've never seen them this bad before. I know Fredo said that within the first 3 months of treatment you tend to have lots of outbreaks. Is that true when you switch treatment methods as well? I never had them this bad when I used to get cryo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:30 pm 

I am sorry you are suffering like this. It must be extremely frustrating. Having endured both aldara and TCA, I know that these treatments can be quite painful. Does your doctor think other treatments might be more effective since the GWs keep coming back?

Gail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 am 

Hey Gail-

I go back to the doctor tomorrow, so we'll see what he says. He did mention before we began treatment that TCA is frustrating, as the warts frequently recur, but eventually the treatment does work. From what I've read, it seems that my option after TCA is laser surgery, which is much more invasive, expensive, and has about the same efficacy rate as any other treatment. *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:20 am 

Hi Gail-

So, he opted to go for cryo again. His exactly quote? "You haven't had MY cryo treatment!" Ohhhhhhkay then! He only did one freeze cycle, stating that the current literature supports only freezing once. He seems to think it will be effective. I return next week. We shall see!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:44 pm 

Thought I'd post an update, although I can't say it's good.

Went to the derm again today. This was visit #9 to him, on an every two week basis. Coupled with the treatments from PP....almost 20 so far since January. AWESOME. We've been treating with a combination of TCA + cryo, and while some areas are looking better, others look worse. Even more frustrating is that they've migrated to other parts of my body, entirely too close to certain bits that I do not want frozen/burned/etc. Doc today admitted that my case is "one of the more stubborn" cases he's seen, and gave me a scrip for Aldara to use in combination with everything else we're doing. He only wants me to use a tiny amount on moist surfaces, not with the intention that it'll clear it up, but that it'll help decrease the amount of large, scary ones that seem to show up every month or so, even after the area's been treated repeatedly.
I also get to start going weekly, as he wants to help me feel like we're getting somewhere.

The best part? I never realized how much my insurance sucked until all of this went down. No wonder people don't bother getting this treated; it's crazy expensive!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

In addition to reducing the warts so they can be easier to treat with another method, aldara often slows down recurrences. I hear you about the insurance, man, what a pain that can be. I shudder each time I have to call the customer no service line for my carrier. You have been through a rough year, no doubt. Hang in there and keep hanging out with us!

:wink:
Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]