ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:16 pm 

I have regularly gotten STD tests over the last 10 years. They always came back negative. Last month I went to my normal annual exam and yearly STD test at the gyno and the nurse practioner asked if I wanted to get a Herpes tests as well. Even though she recommended I not get it done because I had been abstaining for the last year, I told her to go ahead and do it. When none of my results came back after 3 weeks I phone the doctor's office and was nonchalantly told you are negative for everything else but you are positive for HSV 1 & 2. Have a nice day. No further explanation... nothing.

I got the run around for a few days but finally they mailed me a copy of my results. The printout had no numbers just Positive HSV1 Positive HSV2. They said they couldn't determine which test was done or what the numbers were. I tried to set up an appointment with the doctor to discuss the results and was told the soonest I could get an apppointment was late October.

Of course I was devastated, and angry that upon further checking it appears I had never been previously tested for herpes. I previously had HPV about 7 years ago, which required me to go to the gyno for check up 2-3 times a year. That infection completely cleared after about a year and a half. Having that scare, I was very sensitive about my genital area and was concious of anything that seemed out of the ordinary. I have never had an outbreak of any type, no cold sore, genital lesions, no strange itching. Any bump I have ever had I have gone and had tested.

I had just began dating a really nice guy and we had already agreed to both get STD test done together so I told him my results minutes after I received them. He seemed to be ok with it at first; he got two test done over the course of the next 3 weeks that both came back negative. But yesterday he called me in a panic saying that he talked to his doctor and she told him anytime he has any contact, kissing, oral sex, sexual intercourse, foreplay with me he is at risk of contracting the virus and that if he stays with me eventually he will get it too. I previously had him read all the medical journals previously that cite a 4% transmission rate but he says that's not what his doctor is telling him. And he said he's not willing to stay with me if he's guaranteed to get an STD so he ended things with me. I was trying to wait to set up a WB test as a retest, but I went and had my blood drawn today to have the Immunoblot test done so I can get an idea of where I stand.

Ok now that I've told you the story of my life over the last month here are my questions:

1) Is it common for test results not to have any numerical data?
2) How long can you go without experiencing any symptoms?
3) Who is correct his doctor or the articles; is he guaranteed to get it if we are together?
4) How accurate is the Immunoblot test compared to the ELISA test?

Any info would be great. It's been a rough day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:16 pm 

I'm going to leave your questions to the experts, but I just wanted to say that my husband and I have been together for 5 1/2 yrs without me even knowing I had it, and he has not gotten infected. I was like you. I didn't have any symptoms. I was shocked to find out and was sure my husband would test positive too. But he tested negative. The only problem is now that I know I am scared to death of passing it to him, and it is taking a toll on our sex life. All you can do is get on suppressive medicine to reduce the chances of transmission to a minimum, which I have now done. Get extremely knowledgeable about what suppressive meds can do so that next time you meet a guy you can educate him well right away. What I have found is that so many drs are un-informed and just don't have the facts. I'm sorry about what's going on. I know it's devastating at first. It has made me feel beter to read all of these posts from ppl who have it and realize that it is not that uncommon and social acceptance (and area of location) is the only thing that sets it apart from "fever blisters," which are way more socially accepted.

Best wishes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 pm 

It's unfortunate that his doctor has presented the info to him in a manner which obviously caused him to hit the panic button about this :( I recommend forwarding him a link to the herpes handbook to do his own reading - http://www.westoverheights.com is the website. It's free to read online.

1) Is it common for test results not to have any numerical data?
- some labs do report that way. if your provider calls they should be able to get the actual numeric results. there are numeric results most times, they just don't report them. Otherwise you should repeat your test with a 2nd test to confirm your status. not too surprising about the hsv1 + result, most adults do test + for it but definitely confirm your hsv2 status.

2) How long can you go without experiencing any symptoms?
- about 20% of folks are actually asymptomatic, the other 80% just isn't recognizing the symptoms of herpes because they've never been educated about what to look for.

3) Who is correct his doctor or the articles; is he guaranteed to get it if we are together?
- he has a 4% risk /year if all you do is avoid sex during obvious genital symptoms. if you take daily suppressive therapy and use condoms, it's down to a 1% risk/year for him.

4) How accurate is the Immunoblot test compared to the ELISA test?
- it has the same accuracy.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:37 am 

Ok I got my test results back from the Immunoblot today. Positive for both HSV-1 and HSV-2. There testing company says the Immunoblot doesn't yeild any numeric data. Is that correct?

Is it worth getting another test to see if I have a low positive reading?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:02 pm 

correct, the immunoblot only gives + and -. definitely confirm your status with a herpes WB or a biokit hsv2 igg test.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:25 pm 

Hi. I was diagnosed recently with HSV1 and HSV2 via a blood test (I don't know which one). A lesion culture came back negative. I immediately told my partner and she's negative (so glad). We've always used condoms for intercourse and that's made the difference, I'm sure. I'm on suppressive therapy to help keep her uninfected.

Now, I'm trying to work past the feelings of worthlessness that follow this knowledge, and ASHA has helped a lot with this. This has certainly changed my sex life. There's not much to it. And that's normal, I guess. It's made me and my girlfriend talk more about our future and the uncertainties that lie ahead. She worries that she'll get HSV2 from me and we'll not work out and then she's left with herpes and alone. I can't blame her for worrying about that. And it makes me realize that there's some issues in our relationship that might not come out if I hadn't been diagnosed with HSV2. I guess then that this could be a positive thing.

Anyway, I want to say thanks to betsy and everyone else here. You're all so helpful and I'm dealing with this better because of you all.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:28 pm 

welcome to the forum :)

can you call and get the numeric results of your blood test for me to look at?

how was your gf tested?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:10 pm 

betsy,

I can and will call and get some numbers, and I'll ask my gf which blood test she was given. We've been together for a couple of years with no other partners, so it wouldn't have been a new infection for either of us. That means that the antibodies would have had time to show up, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:33 am 

correct

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:05 am 

betsy,

The nurse said that I was given 2 tests(?): the HSV 1 and 2 igg and the Herpeselect Type Specific AB.

numbers: igg test
HSV1= 5.00
HSV2= 1.15

I was told that anything over 1.10 is a positive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:51 pm 

Oh your hsv2 igg is a very low positive and needs confirmed with additional testing. it's a high chance it's a false positive so this is important for you to do. Why worry about herpes transmission and pay for medications if you don't even have herpes? oNly 20% of results that low are actually true positives.

A herpes WB blood test would be your best test to confirm your status.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:59 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
Oh your hsv2 igg is a very low positive and needs confirmed with additional testing. it's a high chance it's a false positive so this is important for you to do. Why worry about herpes transmission and pay for medications if you don't even have herpes? oNly 20% of results that low are actually true positives.

A herpes WB blood test would be your best test to confirm your status.

betsy

Wow. Huh. So, I guess I'll get another blood test. So I should talk to my provider, then?

Thanks for your quick replies . . . and for your patience in delivering information--and repeating yourself. I know it must get a little tedious.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:27 pm 

I have the patience of a saint when they are appropriate questions of which yours have all been :)

Unfortunately many providers are not up to date on herpes testing - I'm just glad you have sought out this forum for help and didn't go through life thinking you were hsv2+ when odds are you are not if you are in a ltr where your partner tested negative and your igg is so low.

let me know how your repeat testing goes !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:04 pm 

I will; thanks for your input. I'm trying not to get too hopeful.

I feel so stressed by all this. Every bump makes me panic. I know that I shouldn't be so stressed. But it's not so easy to adjust to this new reality.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:24 am 

betsy,
I forgot to ask: will taking valacyclovir for suppression affect my herpes wb test results? It might be a silly question, but I just want to make sure my results are as accurate as possible.

Thanks again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next