ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:52 am 

I'd stop taking it, you aren't likely to have hsv2 so why bother?

will it affect your wb results at this point? No it will not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:34 pm 

betsy,

Thanks again for the speedy replies! On a Saturday, no less. Given that it's a 20% chance that I'm HSV2+, I'm going to keep acting as though I'm positive until the results from the wb are back. Perhaps it's overkill.

I only asked because it came up in another forum, and I wanted to run it by the asha guru 8)

If helpful people were cookies, you'd be a swiss chocolate fudge with peanut butter chips and vanilla ice cream on top.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:43 pm 

cookies are always a good thing....he he he of course so is ice cream since ice cream has calcium in it and women need lots of calcium ( I've also used this argument for whipped creme too....he he he ).

this wouldn't have been a newly acquired infection so therefor suppressive therapy wouldn't affect your igg response significantly, if at all. In some studies, starting suppressive therapy from the get-go has an effect on some folks igg results while for others, no real effect at all. One other study showed that it reduces the igg by 10% I believe it was but still even a 10% reduction, still keeps a positive a positive and in your case, still keeps a low positive a low positive.

keep asking questions when you think of them :) there are good sites out there and bad ones so checking info is always a good idea :)

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 pm 

So because I've had the antibodies for a while, they're more stable. Makes sense.

Doctor's appt on Tuesday. We'll see where this goes.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:37 pm 

betsy,

I stopped taking the antivirals and on the second day of not taking them, I felt an itch and noticed some spots of flaky skin on my genitals. I went back to the antivirals. That evening and since, no itch and the flaky skin is gone.

Is it possible for an outbreak to occur so quickly and then clear up so fast? I'm taking 1 g of valacyclovir once a day. I know that untreated, the ob usually takes 8-10 days to clear up. Am I being needlessly paranoid?

Obviously, I'm not feeling terribly optimistic about my herpes wb, though I won't have the results for a while.

Thanks again for your patience.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:46 pm 

would've been better off going for a lesion culture when you had symptoms after stopping them dear. much easier than getting a WB and quicker answers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:20 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
I have the patience of a saint when they are appropriate questions of which yours have all been :)

Unfortunately many providers are not up to date on herpes testing - I'm just glad you have sought out this forum for help and didn't go through life thinking you were hsv2+ when odds are you are not if you are in a ltr where your partner tested negative and your igg is so low.

let me know how your repeat testing goes !

My results are back. The wb came back positive for HSV1 and negative for HSV2. It recommended that I get another confirmation test if I've been on antivirals and if it was a newly acquired infection (it wouldn't have been). I'd been on antivirals, but I stopped taking them 2 days prior to the wb test. (Side question: is that long enough?)

My provider was great. She says she learned a lot through the process as well. She says she's happy to have more info to pass on to other patients.

So, betsy, thanks SO MUCH for your advice through this. I'm still thinking about getting another confirmation test, but it wouldn't have been a new infection, so maybe not.

Now I need to figure out what the dry skin down there was . . . but it's not HSV2, so that's good.

Thanks again betsy. You're the hot fudge sundae of helpful people.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 pm 

http://www.ashastdwebstore.org/herpes-t ... olkit.html is a terrific booklet for your provider and their practice ( and cheap too! ).

update us when you get more answers :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2