ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 am 

I was recently diagnosed b/c of an OB with lesions. The culture swab came back positive for HSV-2. My partner then got tested and was diagnosed with HSV-2. Neither one of us had any clue. Been together 1 1/2 years. Since we're both positive I guess that makes it easier, but I still have questions. I've read about the three stages-OB, latent stage, & shedding stage. Here are my questions:
1) Since you don't know how long you're in the shedding stage, if we were to have sex and one of us was in this stage could we cause the other to have an OB?
2) Is oral sex totally out now since we don't know when we're going thru the last two stages after an OB? If we had oral sex and the one receiving was contagious and didn't know it - could the giver get herpes in their mouth?
3) How useful would suppressive therapy be if we both are positive? Would it mainly just be for our own OB purposes, or is there benefits to suppressive therapy even if we both are positive?
4) I read during the shedding stage it can get into the body fluids, including saliva. So does that mean you could pass this to someone by kissing if you were in the shedding stage?

I haven't found a lot of info about herpes if both partners are positive. My main concern is how cautious do we have to be if we're both positive - can we cause each other to break out every time we have sex? That sounds silly, but I just can't find much info on two positive partners. Any answers you could give on all this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:57 am 

welcome to the board :)

In this situation, your hsv2 is a comfort issue only for the two of you other than to not perform oral on obvious lesions. You won't trigger ob's in each other. You won't make each other's infections "worse". If you have an ob in a location in which it would be painful to have sex when you have it, wait and resume sexual activity when it is healed.

as for how to treat your ob's, totally up to you. Suppressive therapy makes recurrences milder as well as makes sure you have less of them. If you are interested in it, no reason not to use it. Far more bang for your buck than there is to waiting until you have a full blown ob and then treating it to make it heal faster.

your genital herpes infection will not be present in your saliva - ever.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:48 pm 

Thank you for the prompt reply! I'm feeling better about this!
I have read the handbook that I've seen recommended in other posts. Are there other materials that you would recommend reading or purchasing?
Again, thank you!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:38 pm 

the handbook is my favorite - it's informative and free :)

Terri Warren's book "the good news about the bad news" is also up to date and terrific too.

The book by charlie ebel "living and loving with herpes" ( I think that's what it's called, they might've changed the title with the newest update" is listed in the asha bookstore and I've heard good things about that one too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:14 pm 

So it's been three weeks since my first ob of HSV-2. My dr. put me on meds that lasted for the first week and said I should clear up in 10 to 14 days. Yes the sores are gone, but it still feels sensitive down there, and there's still a slight burning farther back, by the anus. My question is, will this all go away eventually or will I always feel more sensitive now? And if I went on daily meds would that relieve the sensitivity?
I don't know how long this is supposed to take to clear up, or if I'm just getting ready to have another ob!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:26 pm 

give it until next week and if you still have the burning sensation, return to be seen. make sure you ask for testing for yeast and bacterial vaginal infections too. A "looksee" is unacceptable, they need to do proper testing. Not all bv infections especially will present with obvious redness and discharge and can trigger herpes to be more active. it's very common with the initial infection and can complicate things until it's treated. Meanwhile try things like extra tlc to your genital area - a barrier cream like desitin, a&d, aquaphor etc to soothe irritated skin and protect it. soaking in the bathtub with epsom salts or a packet of aveeno bath thrown in can also help. also don't hesitate to take advil a few times a day to help decrease inflammation from the infection.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 am 

When I initially went to the dr. they tested my urine and said I had a UTI, then when I asked how soon the swelling and sores would go away that's when the dr. informed me that was not common with a UTI and did a physical exam and culture swab. So I was on meds for about 3 days for the UTI, along with the other meds for the herpes.

I will try your suggestions to ease the discomfort. Thank you for your advice!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:07 am 

Now that the initial shock has worn off, there is a question I've been wondering about. My bf and I live in different cities and see each once or twice a month. When I informed him I had broken out with sores and it was herpes, it was about 9 days since we had been together. He told me he had noticed a sore on his foreskin about 5 days after we were together and when I contacted him the sore had just multiplied and he had an appt. to be checked. Before any of this neither of us had a clue we were infected. My question is how likely is it that one of us was carrying and we both broke out at about the same time? Is it possible that he contracted it from someone just before we saw each other and that's why we both broke out together? I'm just finding it ironic that we both broke out for the first time within days of each other...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:01 am 

it's not real unusual when one partner is diagnosed with having genital herpes that the other suddenly puts more meaning into genital symptoms that normally they wouldn't think twice about. for instance perhaps in the past if your bf had these sorts of symptoms, he just assumed they were jock itch or irritation but this time since you were diagnosed as having hsv2, he suddenly realized this was something worth worrying about?

if you are wondering if he was cheating or not, both of you having symptoms at the same time doesn't mean that's the case necessarily either. did he have a + hsv2 igg or just a + lesion culture done?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]