ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:08 pm 

Hello all - new to the forum but have been reading for a while. I'm a 35 year old woman that tested HSV2 + at a level of 1.16. I was shocked, indignant, very upset - had been responsibly testing regularly for the last 10 years, only to find out when I got pregnant that I'd never been tested for HSV and lo and behold was positive.
So over the last few months, I've tried to educate myself as much as possible. I went from thinking I was asymptomatic to recognizing the bumps for what they are; I'm slowly coming to understand my own emotions surrounding all this; but the thing that I'm having the hardest time with is the idea of a "primary outbreak". I know there is no way to determine where or when I was exposed to the virus, and I've gotten over the impulse to contact every boyfriend I was ever with to warn them. But I'm tryng to figure out if I've had the primary outbreak and/or if I have more than HSV2 going on.

Here are some questions to start:
1. Now that I know, I can look back at a specific painful lesion that I thought was a bug bite about 2 years ago - not on my genitals, but in the area - that took about 2.5-3 weeks to heal. Between then and April of this year (when I found out I was pregnant), I'd only experienced what I thought were one or two ingrown hairs here or there, few and far between. Since being pregnant (I no longer am) it seems that I've been in a consistent outbreak on buttocks/upper thigh and burning/itching sensation occasionally in vagina/on clitoris. Was the bug bite lesion2 years ago the "primary outbreak" or am I possibly experiencing that now? (My partner in the pregnancy tested negative for the virus.) Does first symptom = primary outbreak? (Because the "primary" outbreak is the most contagious I'm becoming a little OCD about EVERY bump I'm finding anywhere...)

2. Is it possible that being pregnant kicked the virus into overdrive?

3. I'm not currently on any suppessive therapy - I'm not sexually active and would rather watch how my body cycles through outbreaks at least for now. I will have another GYN appointment n October - is it useful to get tested again to see if the numeric reading has increased? Possibly to indicate how my body's immune response is or is not progressing?

Since the diagnosis, I've become concerned about other things that I thought were "normal" for me. Are the following symptoms generally associated with HSV2?
4. Soaking discharge that cycles from clear to white in the first week and a half after my period; there are usually 3 days of a gelatinous mess. This has been going on since I can remember...
5. Bumps on abdomen - looks like heat rash and shows up consistently with my hormonal cycle. This has been going on since I can remember...
6. Burning stinging itchy eyes - I keep reading about HSV1 and "ocular herpes". Can HSV2 do the same thing? ("normal" since diagnosis)
7. Random single bumps - back of the wrist, top of the foot, where forehead/hairline meets...(noticed since diagnosis)

I appreciate any thoughts/insights. Thanks for all the information you all provide on this site - it's been a life saver!

~calliegrace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:07 am 

you need to confirm your hsv2 status with additional testing. a hsv2 igg of 1.16 is likely to be a false positive.

are you currently pregnant now?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:17 pm 

Wow- I would love for it to be a false positive, though I'm not holding my breath given the outbreak-like symptoms. I'll definitely get tested again.

I am currently not pregnant. I terminated the pregnancy in April via cytotec/RU486. Terrible experience that took 6 weeks to "complete" and I've had 3 normal cycles since then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:42 pm 

ok then no rush for confirming your status.

only about 20% of hsv2 results that low are actually positive. it's well worth confirming your status with additional testing. I recommend a herpes WB if you can get your provider to order it for you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]