ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:58 am 

Sorry, the titles a little rough. I'm just curious about what spreads GW. Like, for instance I have a electric shaver that I use for "down there" grooming, but if I were happen to touch a wart would I just be spreading it to new places? Can HPV live on razors and such? What about Loofas(sp?) in the shower? If HPV can survive on these grooming utilities how long would the virus stay on them? I'm just having a hard time keeping the warts away and I was wondering if I need to change my grooming/showering habits. :/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:28 am 
Site Admin

There aren't any studies (that I'm aware of) looking at this question, but it's a good one to ask and comes up often. I believe most experts would say it's possible to spread the warts through shaving the area, although I don't know how likely that really is. It's probably best not to shave the warts directly. Maybe get some scissors and trim the area that way?

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:36 pm 

so let's say I have shaved over a wart, would I need to dispose of the electric razor, even if I only use it once a month? How long could hpv live on something like that? thanks for your response.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:38 pm 

Hey Lucky-

According to my derm, if there's any trauma to the genital region at all and you have GW, it's possible for the warts to spread. They do this through a process called the Koebner phenomenon. That's why when people shave they find new lesions pop up in those areas.

As for whether you need to toss your electric razor, I'm paranoid, so I use disposable and toss after each use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 am 
Site Admin

It seems a shame to toss what's probably an expensive electric razor. Can you remove the heads/blades to clean them really well. The issue with HPV transmission and shaving is probably more with the act of shaving, rather than skin cells hanging around on a used razor. Still, clean it really thoroughly.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]