ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:22 am 

This msg has to do with questions having to do with the asymptomatic carrier.

1) Is it possible for the asymptomatic carrier to transmit HSV1?
2) If so, what preventive measures should be taken to avoid transmission?
3) Is it possible for the asymptomatic carrier to self-inoculate?
4) If so, by what means?
5) In the event of a recurrence are the sites of the auto-inoculation also contagious or is it only at the site where the virus first entered the body?
6) If self-inoculation sites do have recurrence is that recurrence independent of the recurrence at the site where the virus first entered the body?
7) Can an asymptomatic carrier safely fold laundry without risk of transmission while breathing in the direction of the garments being handled? The concern here is the possible entrapment of the moisture from the exhaled air.
8) Can the virus be transmitted through cuts on the hands of a person who has HSV1?

Your website is very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you for what you are doing. Thank you for any information you can give in answer to the above questions.[/b]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:45 am 

are you asking about hsv1 orally?

if so have you read the oral herpes info yet on the main asha site?

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 pm 

The inquiry is about HSV1 orally. I have spent hours researching these issues on asha and other sites. The issues I'm raising are not clear to me. For example: how can an asymptomatic carrier know if the virus is active and passed if the asymptomatic carrier has no active outbreak? My wife and I have read a lot of your comments so we value your help with these questions. Additionally, neither of us has ever had cold sore. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:23 pm 

there's no way to know when the virus is active if you aren't getting obvious cold sores to know it.

common sense really does go a long way in reducing transmission of hsv1 both to the oral area and the genital area.

1) Is it possible for the asymptomatic carrier to transmit HSV1?
yes

2) If so, what preventive measures should be taken to avoid transmission?
this is all listed in the oral herpes info on the main asha site

3) Is it possible for the asymptomatic carrier to self-inoculate?
no they aren't going to transmit the virus to other body parts on themself.
4) If so, by what means?

5) In the event of a recurrence are the sites of the auto-inoculation also contagious or is it only at the site where the virus first entered the body?
if you have oral herpes, the virus sheds from the orolabial area

6) If self-inoculation sites do have recurrence is that recurrence independent of the recurrence at the site where the virus first entered the body?
see 3

7) Can an asymptomatic carrier safely fold laundry without risk of transmission while breathing in the direction of the garments being handled? The concern here is the possible entrapment of the moisture from the exhaled air.
absolutely, positively not an issue. herpes is a direct contact virus, not something that can be transmitted through droplets or from surfaces/clothing

8) Can the virus be transmitted through cuts on the hands of a person who has HSV1?
no, herpes is not a blood borne virus.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 am 

Thank you for the clear answers. I hope your answers to my inquiry will help others equally as well as it has. No longer confused. Victory over terror. Truth wins out! Thank you, thank you, thank you. MrDonut

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]