ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trichomoniasis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 am 

Can anyone tell me how long trich can be in a persons system and any other symptoms.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Symptoms related to trichomoniasis usually develop in a month or less, but some cases have mild or no symptoms, so it is hard to use the onset of symptoms to tell for sure how long the infection has been there.

While trichomoniasis affects both women and men, symptoms are more common in women. Most men with trichomoniasis do not have any signs or symptoms. However, some men may have a temporary irritation inside the penis, mild discharge, or notice a slight burning after peeing (urinating) or ejaculating. Some women may have signs or symptoms which include:

* discharge that is green, yellow or grey
* a bad smell
* itching in or around the vagina
* pain during sex
* pain when peeing (urinating)

I hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: Re: Trichomoniasis
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:58 am 

Hi there,

I was misdiagnosed with herpes. I had, what appeared to be an outbreak, but later tests proves otherwise. However, i learned about trich shortly after and would like to know if herpes is a differential diagnosis for trich? During this episode I noticed a strange creamy-green/yellow discharge. Could I possibly have gotten trich? If so how can I test for it to be sure and what is the procedure I follow regarding treatment?

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:35 pm 

usually they test for trich when they are looking for yeast and bacterial infections. A swab of your vaginal discharge can be used to test for it.

grace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:55 am 

Ok, so I had a pap smear in April during this whole period, wpuld it have been tested for then? Ps. EVerything came back negative :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Paps aren't STD tests, although sometimes they can give an indication an STD is present. That isn't what they're designed to do, however, so aren't very reliable in that regard. Paps are really meant to find abnormal cervical cell changes that might need to be monitored or, in a few cases, treated.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]