ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 pm 

Confusion exists among inquiring minds about the application of the meaning of "asymptomatic carrier."
A co-worker had a cold sore some 40 years ago and has no recurrences. Does the term "asymptomatic carrier" apply to people like my friend?
It seems that the term is also used to label those who "harbor the HSV1 but never have an outbreak." Is this correct? If so, then I conclude that there are two types of people who can both be labled "asymptomatic carrier" is my conclusion correct? Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:52 am 

You are just as contagious if you get cold sores 2-3x/year as is average or if you don't get them.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:33 am 

So the term Asymptomatic applies to both scenarios? Right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:38 pm 

someone who had cold sores in the past, certainly isn't asymptomatic, they just haven't had an obvious cold sore recently.

Most people who contract hsv1 orally do have symptoms when infected, it's just that they don't often present as obvious cold sores so they don't realize that they've contracted oral herpes.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:37 pm 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 pm 

Betsy, you have proven your case so that I understand that by definition an "asymptomatic herpes 1 carrier had a primary episode but reflected no outward signs, e.g., Cold Sore. Others had a primary episode that resulted in a Cold Sore, and are not asymptomatic. It would follow that only those who have a primary episode that breaks out into a Cold Sore could later have recurrences. Is my understanding and wording correct?

Sorry to keep asking for more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:30 am 

Whether or not you have obvious cold sores with your initial infection or not makes no difference as to if you'll get obvious cold sores in the future or not. It has as much to do with your genes as anything.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:31 am 

These remarks refer to HSV1 (oral)

Yes or No: A person who has no OUTWARD Cold Sore can be labeled "asymptomatic carrier"?

Yes or No: A person has his/her 1st cold sore can self-inoculate and can have recurrences after the primary cold sore heals and is therefore not "asymptomatic"?

How can an asymptomatic carrier have any idea they are shedding?

How contagious is the saliva of the asymptomatic carrier if it gets on his/her chin?

Am I correct to conclude that the reason some people have 1 cold sore and no more is because their immunities develop to a level that virus is for all intents and purposes PERMANENTLY SUPRESSED?

Respiratory droplets are no worry? There is no need to wash one's arms/hands, etc., if they breath on their body parts, right?

These inquiries are to help me counsel my own wife who is concerned about being able to spread HSV1 even though she has never had a cold sore.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:13 pm 

ok why all the questions?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:08 pm 

Because the answers were not clear that caused more questions. I take it that you are saying that my analysis in the latest batch of questions is correct and should clear up the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:33 pm 

just wondering why you are quizzing me so much!!! Is she hating that betsy from asha chick she's never met? he he he have you been tested to know your own status since this is your wife?

Yes or No: A person who has no OUTWARD Cold Sore can be labeled "asymptomatic carrier"?
if someone needs to label themselves as such, so be it. most folks just don't recognize the signs of the original infection. only 20-40% of folks who have hsv1 orally get obvious cold sores to know that they are infected. getting hung up on symptomatic vs asymptomatic really doesn't make a difference since shedding is the same regardless.

Yes or No: A person has his/her 1st cold sore can self-inoculate and can have recurrences after the primary cold sore heals and is therefore not "asymptomatic"?
I'm not sure what you mean by self inoculate? correct, someone who gets cold sores, whether they have had any recently or not, isn't asymptomatic.

How can an asymptomatic carrier have any idea they are shedding?
you can't really. sometimes you feel some lip tingling in one area or an itchiness in one area but without obvious cold sores, no way to know. the common sensical precautions in the oral herpes info here on the asha main site really are the best you can do and they do work.

How contagious is the saliva of the asymptomatic carrier if it gets on his/her chin?
unless someone is rubbing their chin on their chin soon after the saliva gets there, really not an issue.

Am I correct to conclude that the reason some people have 1 cold sore and no more is because their immunities develop to a level that virus is for all intents and purposes PERMANENTLY SUPRESSED?
no. saying the virus is suppressed is saying that it's not active which isn't the case. it just means that they haven't had an obvious cold sore in awhile.

Respiratory droplets are no worry? There is no need to wash one's arms/hands, etc., if they breath on their body parts, right?
herpes is a direct contact virus. it's not transmitted through droplets like the common cold and flu is.

Betsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:44 pm 

Actually, Betsy, she looked forward to your wisdom in responding to the crazy, maybe poorly written inquiries as I tried to convey her angst about HSV1. We do thank you for your effort. In that one statement I should have used "auto-inoculation" to refer to the inadvertant spreading from the mouth to another part of the body. Thanks, again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 pm 

You can transmit it to other body parts during the initial infection but it doesn't happen very often. Even in children, who put their hands in their mouths all the time, drool a lot and suck on all sorts of body parts, it doesn't happen too often and we adults tend not to do that sort of thing any more.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 pm 

Hi Betsy,
I have another clarification request from Ms. Donette.

Part of the difficulty she has with the "asymtomatic" definition relates to the frequent statement that people may experience signs such as flu like symptoms, pimple, itch but have no cold sore during the primary episode. Does that mean they are not an asymptomatic carrier?

I have gone over the data of your answers and other material from the Asha website and my conclusion is: no cold sore=asymptomatic carrier.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:32 pm 

I'm not sure there is anything else I could add that would help at this point to be honest. I"m not sure what the underlying problem is but concentrating on whether someone gets obvious cold sores or not really doesn't matter, the virus is just as active whether someone knows they are infected and gets obvious symptoms regularly or not. That's the take home message about oral herpes.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next