ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Debate of transfer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:30 am 

Hi Betsy,

a friend is dating someone with HSV 1 orally. he does not think that if his gf gives him oral (with or without a cold sore) then they have sex that it can be transferred that way. is that possible?

Post subject: Re: Debate of transfer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:45 pm 

if his gf has hsv1 orally and he doesn't, if she performs oral sex on him, she can transmit her hsv1 to his genital area. them then having sex, will not give her hsv1 back genitally though if that's what you were asking.

Has he been tested to know his own status? has she been tested to know her hsv2 status?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:20 pm 

she has been tested yes. he plans to get tested, he said he may remember a cold sore as a child, but not 100% sure.

if they both hsv 1 orally, can it be transferred to either of their genitals through oral sex - her if she gives oral and they then have sex. him just from her oral. again, he believes it can not. and, she doesn't think she can get it back.

i told him to come to the board, but he prefers that i ask :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:34 pm 

if they both have hsv1 orally, they aren't likely to contract it again genitally. having hsv 1 on one body part gives you significant protection against contracting hsv1 on other body parts later on.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 pm 

that's great news. he was worried because she may have given oral with a cold sore that she didn't realize she had. nice guy, he was more worried about giving it back to her orally than getting it himself. and, ultimately, that made her worried as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:26 pm 

oh, and i thought that giving it back to her would be hardest. i would think the virus load would be pretty low - from her mouth, to his genital, then back to her mouth...although with this virus i have learned that anything is possible!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]