ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:00 am 

I can imagine you are getting weary of the pursuit of a clear definition of an asymptomatic carrier. I understand that some of the shedding by folks who have cold sores and recurrences of cold sores are described as "asymptomatic shedding."

From your answer to my last question and my own summary statement of what I believe to be true (no cold sore at primary episode one is asymptomatic) I believe you have said that my conclusion is correct. It is hard for my wife to accept indirect conclusions. She needs straightforward "thus saith the competent source person: if a person has no cold sore they are asymptomatic if the virus has infected him/her. (I understand it takes test to validate the presence of the virus.)

Neither of us has had a cold sore and we are both nearing age 70.

Last edited by MrDonut on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm 

Betsy please play along with me on what I am about to do and ask you to do.

A Primary Episode takes place in 2 people: Person 1 develops a cold sore. Practices safe hygene and does not auto-inoculate. The cold sore heals. Next comes waiting for a possible recurrence.

Person 2 does not have a cold sore. Cannot auto-inoculate. Can pass the virus during shedding through activity of the Mouth (passing via direct saliva contact). Continues to not have cold sore/s. Person 2 is Asymptomatic Carrier, right?

Please respond "Yes person 2 is regarded as Asymptomatic Carrier" or "No person 2 is not an asymptomatic carrier.

A simple answer is all I ask in order for it to be plain to my wife who needs direct, clear statements.

Thanks,
Larry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:55 am 

did person 2 get tested for herpes to know that they have it?

really these questions are getting repetitive at this point.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:00 pm 

Sorry I doubled up on you, I failed to note that the earlier questions had actually been saved when I posted the comment. I ocassionally have a problem signing off.

The reason for the request for complete answers is that my wife has been fearful of transmitting HSV1 to the Bishop of her church and other leaders with whom she shakes hands/hugs, etc., and that they would contract the virus and perhaps become one of the encephalitis statistics. A source for encephalitis deaths is the CDC. Finding out that as few as 115 people die of encephalitis annually put her at ease about that concern. The 2 persons I used in the last inquiry are made up so I had not thougt to add the feature about being tested. 2 issues seem to be bogging my wife down: the fear of auto-inoculation which you clearly said doesn't happen in the Asymptomatic Carrier, and that the place of shedding is the primary episode entry point which is usually the mouth and therefore asymptomatic transmission of the virus takes place through the mouth. I sure hope others get it easier when they have questions!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:45 am 

odds are he already has it. even if he doesn't, unless she is romantically kissing him, it's not an issue. you do not transmit herpes through handshakes or hugs . As adults, the risk from social kisses is incredibly low too.

autoinnoculation of the virus typically only happens when newly infected. Even at that, the risk of that happening is incredibly low. A good example of how low it is to help put it in perspective is - 1 out of every 3 children under the age of 5 has hsv1 orally. think of what a child of that age does - fingers in the mouth, fingers down their diapers, rubbing their eyes all the time, sticking gooey, slobbery fingers all over their body - how many kids do you know who have herpes all over their body? In your age group, 8 out of every 10 people you know has hsv1 orally. It really is that common and I'm sure you don't know of anyone who has herpes all over their bodies.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:05 am 

Well stated. Thank you, Betsy! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2