ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just Got Test Results
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:16 pm 

Hello, I am new here and would like some information while this is still sinking in. I figure knowledge is power and I want to learn to live with this (the news is just about 5 days old) and be able to move forward in my life.

I was tested positive for both hsv 1 and hsv 2. My test results are listed below.

HSV, Type 1 IgG Serology A 6.62 Positive Ref. Range/Females 0.00 - 1.10 Indx Val
HSV, Type 2 IgG Serology A 4.80 Positive Same as above Ref. Range

My history is I was in an almost 4 year relationship that ended several months ago. Upon meeting a new guy desided it was best to get tested (him too) to make sure I was clean, these are the results I got which is still sinking in.

In those years the first year was fine, the second year I had a tingle, itchy spot and after a few days it cleared up and never thought about it again. The 3rd year when it happened again, same spot, only 1, same symptom it made me think to go get checked, so I did. I was told it was not herpes and no swab was taken or blood test, was told it was from rubbing from sex. It happened again one more time and did not worry about it since Dr. told me it was from friction rubbing durning sex. We have been broke up for several months and no symptoms since (10 months now) and when I did have symptoms it was only once a year around the month of August.

I have no sores or breakouts in my mouth or cold sores on my lips ever to this date. So I am wondering is the hsv 1 and 2 is only down there, is this possible? I do know if I have another warning I will have it checked and sampled this time to make sure. Is it possible to have a false positive on the hsv 1 or 2?

Was advised I am one of the so called lucky ones that this only happens about once a year and don't need medication, but am getting the cream in case it comes back...in the past it has cleared up in 3-5 days. I have been so stressed out this past week and surprised no current breakout since I was told stress can bring it on again.

I am sure my ex gave this to me since the whole relationship did not make sense....not wanting to kiss me, a peck here and there but avoided french kissing, and sex was great the first few times but than he would always be tired, not feel good, stressed out, tooth hurt, you name it, he had all the excuses....to me having these results explained his behavoir and never being able to look me in the eye. Wow, now I see the flags flying.

To me he had to know, and why he did not get tested, or maybe he did and did not tell me, and not protect me from this, (I did ask him if he was clean) he said yes (he did not use protection...both our fault) something I have to live with the rest of my life, and going on with this like he is fine, just baffles me...the worst part than me living with this is knowing he will do the same to the next gal.

And the cake to top it all, I told the new guy my tests results were all good but one and advised him to get further testing (he opted for HIV only). Not only did he not ask me what test I tested positive for, he has not contacted me at all, not in person, email, phone or text. Kinda makes you wonder what he was hiding? And no we did not go there, I was the one that demanded the testing before we go further. So with this being said, next time around will not ask the question but will say: Show me your papers and I will show you mine! (test results papers)

So I guess I need to put me first and wonder, how do I protect myself in the future and my future partner hopefully so neigher one of us spreads this more to each-other. Once you have this can it get worse? Should I avoid someone touching me down there, or kissing them, or oral sex? I just want to be careful and know there is life after finding out your results!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:31 pm 

welcome to the board :)

Your hsv1 and hsv2 are both positive. Both are over the typical false positive range. Statistically it's hsv1 orally and hsv2 genitally.

definitely future partners need tested to see what their status is. You can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what.

Not sure what cream you referenced for your herpes but if it's acyclovir cream, it's ineffective on herpes recurrences. You want the oral antivirals to treat ob's, not topical acyclovir.

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a terrific resource for more reading. There is also a terrific patient counseling video on the same site that is very helpful.

Keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:09 pm 

Betsy,

Thank you for your reply. The cream you mention is the one I am getting, she advised that since I only have one spot about once a year down there (none for 10 months now) it might clear it up quicker, but on it's on it has always cleared up in 3-5 days. I tend to be the type that is sensitive to medication/pills and side effects so we desided to try this route.

Thank you for the hand book information and site, I will check it out next.

I agree about the hsv 1 being oral mostly that is what I have heard, just surprised that I have never had an outbreak or cold sore on or in the mouth...the reason I will be testing next time it happens (a swab) is to find out if it is both hsv 1 and 2 down there.

I have read many of the postings here the last couple of days, it helps knowing you are not alone, it has also helped me learn more, and finally my heart goes out to everyone here posting and reading this and wish everyone well with their future.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:43 am 

Only 20-40% of people who have hsv1 orally, get obvious cold sores to know that they are infected there with it. No reason to suspect your hsv1 isn't oral. You could've contracted it as a small child even or from anyone you've ever kissed in a lifetime. Only about 5% of folks have hsv1 and hsv2 both genitally and when they do, the hsv1 rarely reoccurs.

the oral antivirals have relatively low side effects. the most common are headache, nausea and abdominal pain. Since you can treat recurrences with just 1 or 2 days worth of antivirals ( the 1 day dose of valtrex isn't approved by fda but you can still use it for genital herpes if you want ), it's not a big issue with a lot of folks other than taking some tylenol for a headache if they get one. Acyclovir cream only clears up genital recurrences less than a day sooner than placebo so it's not worth the high price for that tube that they sell. You might as well use nothing as to use it as your way of treating your recurrences to be honest.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:17 pm 

Hi Betsy,

Thank you for your advice, it helps make decision's in the future. She wanted me to take Acyclovir 400mg 2x a day for 5 days, I could not see doing this since it is only one spot and clears 3-5 days on it's own.

That is why I opted for the ointment, it is very expensive about $482.22 a tube, but I have good insurance and my co-pay is only $3.30 for 3 tubes (I go thru a mail order pharm and get a 3 month supply for only 1 co-pay) So I figured for me, why not.

Now if the outbreaks were worst or more frequent, I would consider the pill verson.

I do have another question: Since I only have one spot on the average of once a year down there, and no signs of the hsv 1 in/on the mouth (cold sores)...what happens in the future, since I have had this for at least 3 years and 10 months, first sign of outbreak....

Will the outbreaks get worst?
Will I have the coldsore?
If I find a partner in the future with the same hsv 1 and 2, will it cause mine to get worse or spread?

Thank you for taking the time to write back and give suggestions.

Wishing you a great day :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 pm 

Only time will tell how frequent your ob pattern will be. keep in mind that the number of recurrences is meaningless if your partner is negative. You shed the virus about the same amount of time whether you get frequent ob's or not. this goes for oral and genital herpes both.

If a partner is hsv1 + and hsv2+ also, not an issue. You won't ping pong the infection back and forth or trigger ob's in each other or anything like that.

the dose of acyclovir for ob's is either 400mg 3x/day for 5 days or 800mg 3x/day for 2 days. Both heal recurrences at the same rate. they work best if taken at the very first sign of an impending recurrence and sometimes you can ward off one completely by starting them early.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]