ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: HSV 2 or not
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:10 am 

Back in July of 06 I was diagnosed with HSV 1 and 2 through a IGG blood test, both positive. I'm pretty sure I had an OB on my inner thigh about 3-4 inch's down from groin a few months before I was diagnosed back in 06 and nothing since. So I decided then to only date women with HSV from STD dating sites. Had one LTR with 1 girlfriend and currently with a new girlfriend, both have HSV 1 and 2. We never used any precautions or protection. If she had an OB, we just waited about a day after it was gone and would have intercourse again as normal, no big deal. My girlfriends and myself never took meds either. Just wanted to mention that I've had oral HSV 1 when I was in middle school and a time or 2 in my 20-30's. Anyways, I decided last week to get myself retested. So I went to a local patholagist and paid them to test me. They used Quest Diagnostics for the testing. Picked up my results this past Thursday Oct 21st. It showed positive for HSV 1 and NEGATIVE for HSV 2!!
IGG Type Specific Results- HSV 1 >5.00 Positive
HSV 2 <0.90 Negative

I couldn't believe it!! What is goin on? Did my immune system fight it off, maybe it was a false positive back in 06? Or maybe its now a false negative? I'm very confused and was wondering if someone can help with these questions? Thanks so much..........

Post subject: Re: HSV 2 or not
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 am 

odds are you had a false positive when first tested. best way I can help you with that part is if you get the results of your 1st test to post here for me to look at.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 am 

My original results were from the local health dept and the only thing it shows is- IgG Detectected "HSV 1 and 2 IgG- The presence of specific IgG antibodies confers immunity against most infectious agents". There's no numbers or anything else to go by.

Could it be that I've got HSV1 oral and genetal maybe? Thanks soo much for helping....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:25 am 

too bad you didn't find us earlier to ask about this :(

Odds are you did have a false positive. You have had hsv1 orally for quite sometime so odds are what you had on your thigh in 06 wasn't herpes related.

have you and your partner talked about where to go from here as far as precautions?

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:59 am 

Girlfriend and I are on the rocks and having problems unrelated to HSV currently. I haven't discussed the results with her yet as I don't want her to think its related.

I did want to mention that a close friend of mine was dating a male nurse thats got HSV2 and has had it for 20 years. He told her that when they do the swob test on him its positive but when he does the blood test it comes back negative. Is this possible? It doesn't sound right to me.

Do you think I should get retested again in acouple of months maybe? I just don't want another surprise or to give it to someone. Thank you soo much for the help and speedy reply......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:01 pm 

only a small percentage of folks won't test accurately on the blood tests we have available. for the vast majority of folks, the igg blood tests will accurately reflect their status.

if your current relationship doesn't work out, you should repeat your hsv2 igg 3 months after the last time the 2 of you had sex to check to see what your status is from this current relationship. it's not likely at all that you have hsv2 at this point.

grace

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]