ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:25 pm 

One more aspect of Oral HSV1 presents a degree of confusion: It is the Subtle Symptoms. Here's what I mean. Please bear with me because I keep coming to conclusions and I'm not told whether my conclusion is right or wrong. It is stated that a major portion of those who contract oral herpes never know it because they do not even recognize the "subtle symptoms", e.g., pimple, headache, chapped lips, flu like symptoms, etc., according to the list on the ASHA website. I wonder if what is really being said is that: "a pimple, chapped lips, headache etc.," are only physical results of the "primary episode taking place" in the newly asymptomatic person? Asha's main oral herpes info both Ms Donette and I've seen leads her to believe that those "subtle symptoms" really CONTAIN "ORAL HSV1" and that "A SUBTLE PIMPLE SYMPTOM, THEREFORE, NULLIFIES A PERSON FROM BEING ASYMPTOMATIC." I DO NOT AGREE WITH THAT INTERPRETATION SINCE TO ME A PIMPLE IS SIMPLY CELLULAR RESIDUE/Debris. IT DEFIES MY THINKING THAT "A HEADACHE COULD HAVE THE HSV1 VIRUS PHYSICALLY RESIDING IN IT." I HOPE YOU CAN SEE HOW THE Asha STATEMENT CAN CAUSE CONFUSION especially to an analytical minded person.

NO, WE HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED FOR HSV. MS DONETTE hopes that someone can help us make sense of this "seeming contradiction." Because we are both pushing toward the end of our 60s the likelyhood of either or both of us being asymptomatic is fairly strong, that fact, however is insufficient since Ms Donette believes the Pimple is Oral HSV1 and therefore a person who misses the first subtle symptom pimple can expect to have "recurrences" just like any person who had a cold sore at their primary episode.

PLEASE GIVE YOUR WISDOM TO US ON THIS MATTER. THANK YOU.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Hello MrDonut,

I don't think there's much I can add to what Betsy's already told you (and what you've read on our site) about oral HSV and related symptoms, so I'll just try and summarize and will keep my comments brief.

Most cases of HSV, either 1 or 2, are either without symptoms that people recognize and, if they do realize something is occuring, they are often mistaken for something else (pimple, rash, jock itch, allergic reaction, etc.). The point is HSV typically manifests as symptoms so mild they're overlooked OR as some other common skin condition. Apart from a medical diagnosis, it can be difficult to sort out the possibilities to determine what's happening.

We've probably covered this as well as we can. Of course, anytime symptoms emerge and you're unclear what's causing them, get to the clinic and have a health care provider take a look. Also, visit the University of Maryland Medical Center's page about HSV symptoms (scroll down to see oral HSV material)
http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/w ... 0052_2.htm.

Best to you and Mrs. Donut!

Fredo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 pm 

I didn't hear the Fat Lady sing so the jury is still out. Thanks for responding, Fredo, let me explain why clarity is important. Just over a year ago Ms Donette became aware of HSV1 and that it can go so far as to result in a small percentage of the population developing encephalitis which could result in death. She read on and soon became afraid to breathe on me, our food, our dishes, and then the newborn grandchildren. She worried about respiritory droplets, auto-inoculation, recurrences, etc., to the point she kept a bar of soap in her pocket, in her purse and began trying to prevent the spread of HSV1 in case she had been infected by our oldest grandsons. SHE was fearful of causing someone's death via HSV1 and encephalitis. We both spent hour upon hour researching the issues of Oral Herpes. Neither of us has ever had a Cold Sore and have never had "skin to skin" contact with anyone who had a cold sore. It seems that both our situations most likely would fall into the category of "Asymptomatic" hence the questions I've previously posted. This is where the "subtle symptoms" talk comes in. A pimple can be according to ASHA a "subtle symptom" that HSV1 has been contracted and is in the incubation stage. My wife contends that "having a pimple around the mouth area" might mean that a person would NOT BE Asymptomatic because it is a "subtle symptom." I have tried to convince her that the "pimple" is not HSV1 but is only a symptom of the infection of HSV1 taking place. An answer from respected sources (Asha msg board moderators) will set her mind at ease. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:56 am 

honestly she needs professional help. this is more than just worrying about herpes - that's just what she's chosen to focus on. Odds are it goes far deeper than that and if she isn't already in therapy, she needs to consider doing so. really nothing else we can help you with with this.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 pm 

I appreciate your opinion and suggestion.

However, why can't I get the issue of the "pimple as a subtle symptom" answered? I understood the "subtle symptoms" to refer NOT TO HSV1 (oral) but that term subtle symptoms refers to other physical reactions that is caused by the newly arrived infection of HSV1 in the body AND that the subtle symptoms DO NOT carry the Herpes Virus. That would lead to the conclusion that if one gets a pimple, they simply got a pimple but the Herpes Virus is taking up residence inside the mouth in the mucous membrane and without forming a Cold Sore it goes into Asymptomatic Latency. IF I'm right why won't anyone tell me?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:54 am 

sometimes a pimple is really just a pimple. sometimes what looks like a pimple is a cold sore. Not always easy to tell the difference and it's not always all cut and dry.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:55 am 

Now isn't that just a kick in the head! I would think that during the primary episode that it would be easy to distinguish between a pimple and the "blister" that is filled with Herpes Virus 1 fluid. So, then, unless the person can see that it is a blister and is not really a pimple they would not know that they were really symptomatic carrier and could expect recurring outbreaks and they could self-inoculate. It is amazing how such an insignificant virus can be so tricky. Oh, well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:05 am 

Betsy,

I've struggled with your reply and have an inquiry to make. The "pimple that was a cold sore:" do such pimples really look like a pimple or is there a "blister" of some sort that really is there, too? In all my years of dealing with pimples I can say that none of them anywhere on my body ever looked like anything other than a pimple. So, I'm guessing that some people just don't recognize a cold sore blister because it is a new experience for them.

Thank you for all your help.

Mr. Donut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:08 am 

It's not always the simple of clear cut unfortunately.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Good discussion. We've probably done all we reasonably can with this topic, and thanks to everyone for their comments and insight.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]