ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:20 am 

I am 48 and recently diagnosed with HV2. I have never really shown any signs. I had what looked like a ingrown hair not even close to the vagina. Decided to get tested and wow what a shocker. My boyfriend of 14 months and I were both in shock. We went to the doctor together afterwards to get all the facts. We are both willing to make this work, but have many questions. I even read the book " the Good News about the bad news". I am starting to go into menopause so we cannot have that safe time right after a period. I am trying to tune in to warning signs and we are having sex less. We were very active sexually and would still like to be. Any suggestions? I want to keep him clean as this is the biggest phobia he has ever had. My biggest fear is to give it to him after oral on me, will he get it on his mouth if he has HV1. I read if he has HV1 that his chances of getting 2 are less since the body already has some HV antibodies.
Also it seems now that I have been diagnosed and did some reading on the subject I feel itching and tingling where I never have before, is it in my head, I do think about this often. Just want to be somewhat normal again. I think back about 1 instance and feel I may have had this for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:59 am 

so you've both had type specific herpes igg blood tests done? do you recall your results ?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:34 am 

I was tested high over 5 , he was tested long ago for the HV1 not sure of his results. Recently tested for HV2 with a negative. I know he still cares becuase he is still with me. The emotional thing is killing me. It is hard, I have good days and bad. We have unprotected sex on occasion when we feel the time is right, but then after he gets anxiety afterwards. Goes into this "am I gonna get it mode. Makes me feel like crap! It has really affected a great relationship that we had and I wish it would get back to normal.
I am on valtrex, 500 mg daily. I want to do all I can to protect him. How much does valtrex cut down the risk, they say up to 70%, is that true? I was also reading that shedding occurs quite frequently but only lasts a short time. Can you tell me more on this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:59 am 

If you two did nothing but avoid sex anytime you have anything going on genitally, your male partner is 96% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. If you also take daily suppressive therapy with valtrex and use condoms properly, he is 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. The overall risk is low in general. Not sure what 'safe' time after a period you referred to either because there isn't a 'safe' time that is related to periods for herpes. Overall the virus sheds about 45 days total out of the year. That leaves 320 days you aren't contagious but unfortunately we don't have ways to know when you are shedding. Daily suppressive therapy reduces shedding by 80-90% on average which makes it even less likely that you'd be shedding on a day that you don't have active symptoms and are having sex with a partner. It also means far less recurrences so that you have less disruption to your sex life.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:10 pm 

I am struggling as well with the same situation. I would appreciate being able to chat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:02 pm 

I was told and I think I even read in the book that right after your period is the safe time. In other words no shedding. We love oral and really don't want to give this up. My boyfriend is getting more comfortable, but we just want to be as safe as possible. We really care about each other and I want to keep him clean.
Can you tell me does valtrex loose its effectivness over time? Does tingling or itching mean I am shedding?
Does a discharge mean I am shedding? I have noted some creamy like discharge on occasion, does this mean we should avoid sex?
I am slowly getting back to normal and dealing with this. It was hard at first but I have to learn to deal with what life sends my way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:44 pm 

no it is not safe after your period.

no valtrex doesn't lose its effectiveness over time.

discharge can be a sign of an active herpes ob on your cervix but it also can be signs of many other things. anytime you aren't sure what is causing discharge, be seen and get it properly evaluated. same goes with itching issues.

I know sometimes it's all clear as mud but in time you will get a better idea of what is herpes potentially and what isn't.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]