ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:41 pm 

Hello! My name is Gary, and I’m twenty-nine years old. I will be the first to admit that I am a bit of a novice when it pertains to information regarding herpes, and the rest of the sexually transmitted disease family. However, after a possible recent exposure to the virus, I thought it would be best to try and educate myself a little more than I had been prior to this experience. The internet seemed like a logical place to begin my journey.

Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve spent about an hour or so each day reading over various websites that deal with this particular subject matter. My time and efforts have been basically fruitless thus far. Each website seems to state the basic facts that you were taught in high school, and the more detailed information given all seems to contradict something that I had previously read on another page. So, I signed up to this message board with hopes of finding answers from people that can either speak from solid facts or personal experiences. Before I get to any of the questions I have, I will try my best to briefly bring you up to speed with where my situation currently stands.

Slightly over one month ago, my fiance started to complain of a slight burning during urination. She noticed that her genitals had an inflammed look to them (reddish in color, slightly swelled, etc) as well. A few days later, she was awoken in the middle of the night by an intense itching sensation in her vaginal area. She said it was so persistant that the only way to find any type of relief was to itch it. The next day, she noticed a white bump forming where she had been itching the night before. Several more bumps showed up about two days later, and with them came intense pain when urinating. At this point, we realized there was definitely something wrong, and decided to seek out medical attention at the local emergency room.

The doctor on call took one look at her, and immediately came to the conclusion that it was herpes. He also decided to examine inside her vagina as well, and noticed that her cervix was inflammed. His conclusion to that was Chlamydia. He ordered a swab culture and blood work to confirm everything. The swab culture came back as herpes, and she was told to come back in a week’s time to get the results of her blood work. This is where things start to go medically awry.

She went back for her results, and the person she saw for this appointment told her there was no record of her ever having bloodwork done. No blood samples. No documentation. Nothing. It was as if she never had blood work done at all. Needless to say, we were both angry beyond belief. She asked to have blood taken once more, and was told to call back in a week’s time to obtain her test results. This time around, she called back on the seventh day and her gynocologist said the results hadn’t come back yet. She assured her that she would be in touch with her as soon as she had any information to give. My fiance called back about four days later, and still no luck. She decided to wait a few more days, and then call once we got passed the two week mark. The gynocologist still had no results, and said that if she hadn’t heard anything back by this point in time, that she most likely wasn’t going to hear anything at all. No positive. No negative. No results at all. She also said she'd have to wait another six months before being tested again bc her insurance won't cover it again until then.

I can’t even begin to tell you the amount of frustration we were feeling at that point in time. We were told she has herpes, but half the tests to confirm it or let us know which strain of HSV she has have been lost. Still, we decided to remain optimistic and continued to push forward with out situation. Our next step was to schedule and appointment with her gynocologist to ask any questions that we needed to about Herpes. We’ve had no luck there at all either. The first time around she had to reschedule on us, and the second time she cancelled on us all together…which brings us to where we are currently.
Now, I can finally get to the questions that I have regarding HSV. I apologize for this being somewhat of a long-winded post up to this point.

1. Is there any type of incubation period associated with Herpes? The reason I ask is because I do not have HSV. I have been tested for STD’s several times in the past – all results came back negative. I got tested again once this situation came about, and specifically asked to be checked for Herpes (or to possibly be a carrier of the disease). Once again, my results came back negative. My fiance was a virgin prior to meeting me, but was in an abusive relationship (two years before I came along) where she was made to do certain sexual favors to her boyfriend back then. We’re trying to sort of pinpoint how / when she picked this up.

2. What type of transmission methods are there? My mother now refuses to let my fiance use the upstairs bathroom at all. She allows her to use the one downstairs, but has put a sign on the door reminding anyone else to not use that bathroom. Quite frankly, this pisses me off because I hate seeing my fiance treated like a leper.

3. How much of an impact does HSV have on your sex life? We’ve been together for nearly two years now, and have been having unprotected sex for the majority of our relationship. If she truly had herpes, wouldn’t I have picked it up by now? Aside from that, we’re not really sure how to handle sex since this has all came about. We’ve gone back to using condoms (as well as the Valtrex pill she’s on) until we can find out what type of risks are involved. When is it safe to have sex? Is oral sex ok? Is there too high of a risk involved if we were to not use protection (other than her Valtrex)? I have plans of being with this girl for the rest of my life, and I'm curious as to how at risk I would be in that type of scenario.

I just wanted to give an early thanks to anyone who takes the time to sit down, read this, and offers up any feedback or suggestions on what we should do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 am 

welcome to the board!

you know your gf has genital herpes from her + lesion culture for herpes. It's unfortunate that they didn't type it to get you better answers faster. check your own herpes test results just to make sure you had a type specific herpes igg blood test done - you should have a result for hsv1 and also a result for hsv2. also demand a copy of her blood test results she had done that her gyn keeps saying no results are back from. you ALWAYS get results reported back to you whether it's positive or negative and no results from a blood test 2 weeks after it was taken means that there was an error somewhere. Make the clinic do the work you are paying them to do! them saying there haven't been results reported to them means they need to follow up on it!

even the best blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. odds are this is hsv1 genitally on your gf if you were properly tested and came back negative on both.

Did your gf have a proper gyn exam after the ER visit? It doesn't sound like she's had a chance to get one yet. I recommend being seen again and getting a proper exam done and tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally also. did they treat her for chlamydia based on the visual diagnosis of such in the ER?

odds are sex isn't going to be an issue for the two of you unless it turns out that she has hsv2 from her prior relationship. If it's hsv1 genitally, it tends not to reoccur and doesn't shed often at all. we don't even recommend suppressive therapy for it. keep in mind that if indeed she had genital herpes prior to meeting you and didn't know it ( which it doesn't sound like that's the case to be honest ), you've been with her this long and never contracted it so it really shouldn't be a big change in your sex life. At this point it's more of the "idea" of having herpes probably that is the issue.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:23 pm 

Thanks for the response, Betsy =)

Whenever I had my testing done, I asked the doctor to make sure that I was tested for two seperate things. The first was whether or not I have herpes, and if I could possibly be a carrier and not know it. The second was if I had it (or was a carrier) what type would I have. The nurse from the hospital called back about six days later, and told me that all my results had come back negative. I assumed that meant that I didn't have either type. Is this something I should call back and specifically check on?

I'm not exactly sure what she's had done at the gyno since this all began. I'm leaning more towards that she hasn't had any type of examination done at all following the night in the emergency room. I'm pretty sure the only time she saw the gyno was to get info on the results. Now, as for treating her for anything else, I know that they gave her an antibiotic when she was seen at the emergency room. She was told to take that for a week, and then to start her Valtrex prescription.

My question is this: where do we go from here? Should she be pressuring her gyno / doctor to find out what happened to her results? Should she be getting scheduled again, possibly somewhere else, to have herself retested to see which type she has? We both kind of feel like six months is an awfully long time to wait to find out for sure what's going on. So, I'm trying to see what the next step we take should be.

Also, as far as transmission methods go, is there any way at all she can pass this on to someone in either of our families? As I mentioned before, my mom is a total germ-o-phobe and sort of treats her like she has some life-threatening, communicable disease. I don't really know how else to convey it to her that there's not really any risk of anyone getting it by using the same toilet or shower etc (unless there are open sores, right?).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:26 pm 

oh you definitely need to check on your own herpes test results. call and ask them to read them to you, write them down and post them here for me to look at - e.g. hsv1 igg 6.5 and hsv2 igg 2.3 or whatever they are.

genital herpes is a sexually transmitted infection - unless your gf is having intimate contact with someone, transmission is not an issue. no one needs to be doing any cleaning because she has herpes or fearing that they might contract it other than you. Not even open sores are an issue. your mother is totally uneducated about herpes and risks. odds are either your mother and/or father has oral herpes and I'm sure they aren't worried about that!

your gf should've taken the valtrex at the same time as the antibiotic. waiting a week to treat her herpes was a waste of her time and money for filling the valtrex :(

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:59 pm 

Ok, I did as advised. I called the hospital to get more detailed information on my test results, and the lady that took my call refused to give me any information over the phone. She said the only way I can get the information is to see my regular doctor, and sign a release form so that he's able to obtain my results. I told her that they already called to give me the results like three weeks or so ago, and that I just wanted to know the name of the test they ran. Still, she wouldn't tell me either way.

So, now I have to schedule another appointment to talk to my regular doctor about it and then sign the release form to have the records sent over to him. I love how they refuse to give ppl information, but are always crafty to find ways to get more money out of their patients. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:52 pm 

no need for an appointment. just call and say you want to pick up a copy of your test results. HIPAA laws say you are allowed total access to your chart and anything in it. The clinic nurse should be able to do this for you - no need to pay for a doctor's appointment!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]