ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How many outbreaks have you had with Genital HSV1?
More than 3 my first year  50%  [ 3 ]
1-2 my first year  0%  [ 0 ]
Zero my first year  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:09 pm 

Hi Betsy,
Turns out the culture was positive for HSV1 and 3 different bacterias that cause vaginosis. I'm on cephalexin & he thinks that should clear up the bacteria. I swear I'm a clean person! Not sure why it's how you get that but I'll look it up. The outbreak makes me sad because I feel like I'll never be able to have sex again in my life without getting one. How is it for you & others?:( the good thing is that the bumps showed up on Sunday & were gone pretty much by Wednesday night ( atleast it didn't hurt to sit anymore). I wish I had someone to talk to. Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:24 pm 

I'd return in 2 or 3 weeks after you are done with antibiotics to get rechecked to make sure the infection was all gone. also make sure they properly test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too then in case the antibiotic causes yeast overgrowth.

no you won't get a herpes recurrence every time you have sex. it might've even been the otc monistat that triggered the herpes recurrence but bv is known to cause herpes to be more active.

hope you are feeling better soon :)

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 pm 

Hi ms Betsy,

I read on another post that you mentioned BV can be tricky to go away & I'm wondering if that's what is going on with me. I went back to my gyno after I finished the antibiotics & it was still present (like 3-4 bacterias?). So afraid I'd get a yeast infection, he recommended the suppositories. I took those 3 days in a row ( got my stinking period in the middle) but kept taking them cause I wasn't sure what to do.
I thought it was gone. The vagina was feeling normal. I had sex both oral and regular with a condom. No outbreak thank goodness (although I am taking the valtex just to be safe)

Anyway, went I went to the doctor to be rechecked again and now I'm feeling like the bv is still here! Ugh! Any suggestions? Can I be getting this from oral sex? Allergic to condom? Mbps lucky I used to be when my sex life was nosl!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm 

sometimes it just sucks to be female :( treating for bv during your period was the right thing to do. if you feel that you are getting bv again, wait a week after you last finished medication and return to be seen again. sometimes it takes awhile to break the cycle unfortunately.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 am 

Ain't that the truth! :) my results aren't back from the lab but he said he can call me in some gel (which I'm afraid of after the monistat outcome!) so he said he could call me in some antibiotics and a diflucan just to be safe...that maybe one of the bacterias is still present. Is there a certain antibiotic that you'd recommend? I saw two that were normally recommended for bv and that wasn't the one he originally gave me. Just want to be sure before I go thru another round of this.:(

Also, in case I'm getting cysts again, I asked him about the ring birth control since I've had bad side effects from a few of the other oral kinds. Any thoughts or concerns about the ring? Does it do anything to the herpes?

Yes. Sometimes I'm not sure if sex is even worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:53 am 

Oh, the reason I asked him to treat me is because it's Friday & I'm feeling like this could get out of control by monday. What would you do?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:05 pm 

what were you given for bv?

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm 

Originally, cephalexin antibiotics. After that didn't take it away, a three day suppository which I don't feel like cured it. I think now he prescribed another oral antibiotic that starts with an "a". Checking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 pm 

keflex isn't helpful for bv and neither is azithromycin. you need either clindamycin ( orally or genitally aka clindesse) or oral or genital flagyl aka metrogel ).

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:36 pm 

Hi Betsy,
Thankyou for the info! I really need to donate on here! I decided to hold out over the weekend since I wanted to hear back from you before taking another dosage & I also wanted to give my body a rest & wait on the results.

Everything came back negative this morning. Thank goodness. I think I may have been ovulating & that's what caused the discharge. Anyway, things do feel ok down there & now I know what to ask for if it comes back:)

Is it possible to get a little cut or tear from sex? I seemed to have something like that on Saturday night but wasn't sure if it was the return of the herpes or what. It cleared up in a day but now any little thing that goes on I'm afraid it's an outbreak. I sound crazy. I know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:28 pm 

anything that goes away in a day isn't your herpes.

you might want to start keeping a daily diary of genital symptoms to help you better figure out what is "normal" and what isn't for you. you might see patterns over time that'll help you figure it all out better.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:19 pm 

Yes, I think that's a great idea too to keep a journal! Thank you for your help once again. You are a saint.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 pm 

Happy thanksgiving Betsy!

Quick question- I got a refill on my valtrex prescription and now just looking at the bottle I see that it's valacyclovir & not the same blue valtrex pills. Are they different? I guess I'd prefer to stick with what I'd been using. I realize hsv1 shouldn't shed much but I'm just trying to be extra careful and because I don't want another outbreak. Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:35 pm 

since it's generic now there are several manufacturers making it. they are the same active medication.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:56 am 

:cry: I am still fighting this BV & I'm so frustrated. This time the doctor prescribed the metrogel, I got my period on day two of the five so they said to stop & retreat it as soon as I finished menstruating. Ok, so this past weekend I was in my swimsuit all day, even switched bottoms after being in the water. Sunday, started to itch. Monday noticed some tingling/ & a little water blister (so small- like a little pimple). I took the valtrex right away & inserted the metrogel every night since. I must be having an outbreak again and I'm so sad!!! Good thing the guy I'm with is so supportive & even looked at it & kissed me and said it's ok & he loves me. It's hard to see down there!!! (sorry, just wanted to mention that because I never thought id have the courage to talk about it or EVER show anyone & them still like me?!wow.
Could the metrogel be making me get the breakout? It's still hurts down there so nearly certain that's what is going on. I took a diflucan last night too cause I'm worried I caught a yeast infection on top of it all - I did have white discharge Monday afternoon. Do you get white discharge from herpes? Do I need to go be seen every time? I'm getting embarrassed to keep going back to my doctor!!!:(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next