ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: skin issues
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:06 pm 

hello i found out that i have herpes 1 & 2. since being on here i have learned a lot. need to go get a igG test done i beleive. The print out that i received looks nothing like some i've seen on here. Mine, along with other std test results was extremly uninformitive. I have what is called riandrop psoriasis and have had it for 15 years, so i am familiar with what causes me to itch. The question i have is can having herpes cause me to itch more or get more spots? do to me reading it is tied with your nervious system? oh..one more, if your tested +hsv 2 would there ever be a need or reason to be retested? thank you for your time

Post subject: Re: skin issues
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:57 pm 

what testing have you had done so far that told you you had hsv1 and hsv2?

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:37 pm 

they didnt tell & i didnt know to ask, i just had a blood test done on 10-4 by a GP and on the 7 she called and told me the results. After that i was told to go on here. this is all i really know. people i have been with that i told went and got tested and came back +hsv 2 also. one had an outbreak, the other and myself included have not had one that has been descriped in my readings of webMD or this sight. i have to go in Nov. for my yearly check up and am going back to my OBGYN for this. thanks (i'll be saying this alot :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:28 pm 

give them a call monday and ask them to read your results of your blood test to you and write them down so you can post them here for me to look at. That way we can make sure you were properly tested and to see if you need additional confirmatory testing done to confirm your status. All I need to see are your actual numeric results - e.g. hsv1 igg 4.3 and hsv2 igg .34 or whatever they are.

It's terrific that you've been able to talk to others as well as convince them to get tested to know their own status !

Keep asking any questions you have :)

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 am 

hello, i called the clinic where i had the blood test done and the nurse told me the test i was given didnt go that detailed into numbers. She said the test was hsv igg antibody?? is this right? also said that the numbers wont change the outcome of what i have. So what do the numbers tell us? and if the blood test states "abn positive" why should i find out what the number are?? plus...2 people ive been with state they are positive! ugh...frustrating thing to wrap your mind around. still to the best of my knowlage i've had no outbreaks...but have become intuned even more with my body for any little sign. thanks for your help and hope you have a good day

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:00 am 

unfortunately you talked to someone who isn't very knowledgeable about the herpes blood tests :(

the numeric results are important because there is a false positive issue. if your result is a low positive, you need additional confirmatory testing to confirm your status. for instance someone with a hsv2 igg of 1.2 is very unlikely to really have hsv2 but that is read as a positive. compared to someone with a hsv2 igg 9.5 is most likely truly positive for the virus. numeric results are helpful. At this point I recommend repeating your testing with a different test to confirm your status. If you live in the US, you can pay out of pocket and order it up thru healthcheckusa.com or tstd.org. both offer type specific herpes igg blood testing that you can order up and get drawn within a day or two and get results back within 2-3 days to post here. Another option is talk to your healthcare provider about getting a different test done or look to see if anyone near you offers the herpes biokit hsv2 igg blood test. That's a rapid test that gives you results in 20 minutes right in the office.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:55 pm 

hello, well i went right to the lab after i got the run around the track lol and lab stated that there are no numbers with my blood work it just states +1&2. I have a call into the obgyn nurse to call back tomorrow in the am. the last time i had skin to skin contact was almost 3 months ago is it ok to get retested and i had chemo & radiation 3 years ago would any of this affect my blood work outcome? oh ya one more thing....when i was a teenager i had what is now hpv (vinerial warts right). i have not had a reacurance of this since it was taken care of. i think thats it :) but thanks for your help and guidance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:35 pm 

hpv isn't an issue for herpes testing. neither is prior chemo and radiation.

some labs do use the immunoblot test which will only report with a + or -. same with the herpes WB but I doubt you had a WB done. A different test then is the best course of action. if your provider uses quest labs you can get the herpes WB through them.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:37 am 

good morning and happy halloween, my obgyn called back and they were trying to say it wasnt nessary to redo the test untill i read to them what you said about the numeric numbers. they then agreed but had to do some resurch on/for the right test. do you think i should buy one myself and bring it to my app. in november? i did read the whole thing to them about the tests and such...just dont want to do the wrong test and get poked again. Once again thank you very much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:10 pm 

You can buy the WB kit from U of washington on your own for your local lab to draw the blood, process and send for you. check first to see if you can get it locally through quest if your provider can use them.

http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/herpes.htm is a good link to email to your providers.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:02 pm 

hello, well i went to the doc. on the 18 & had my yearly & blood drawn. when i went to the lab i had the lady make sure that this was not the same test i had befor but could not tell me if it would have numeric numbers. so i asked what the name of the test i was getting and this is what it is...hsv2 glycoprotein. today she called with the results and told me it was negitive!
so i asked what the numbers were so i could tell you but...there are no numbers!??? i have the print out and yes i see no numbers to tell you. So now i dont know what to do or think?? but on this peice of paper is something that confuses me. it states: "indviduals infected with hsv may not exhibit detectable IgG antibody to glycoprotein G in the early stages of infection, and 5-10 % of infections may occure with glycoproteinG-deficient virus. detection of antibody presence in these cases may only be possible using a nontype-specific screening test." so...yea...more confussed than ever...was realy hoping to give you numbers. Am i in early stages? UGH....and again thank you for your time and help happy turkey day!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:38 pm 

odds are your first hsv2 igg was a false positive which is an issue. totally up to you if you want additional testing or not. how long prior to this had you last had sex with anyone?

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:52 am 

i had met someone at the begining of this month, and had sex 2 days befor my nov. test why do you ask? this test that i had on the 18 was it the right test? would it be safe to say im negitive of hsv2 and do away with the dental dam? for some reason...i just dont feel 100% sure of the test results. but if you say that this test was the right one then i'll beleive the results. also would you recomend getting retested 3-6 months down the road? again thank you and hope this day brings you joy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:48 pm 

how long prior to that had you last had sex? repeating your test to check on your first test needed to be done at least 3 months after you had last had sex with someone.

was your current partner tested to know their status for herpes and other std's?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm 

hello,
the indvidual that informed me of having herpes was the begining of aug. i have not been with that indivdual since that time. this is going to sound really bad...but here i go. had sex 3 times in sept. with some one new. i was told of the herpes in the beging of oct. from the indv. from aug. and had the 1st test oct. 5th, have not been with anyone in oct. but have been with someone new in nov. had my 2nd test nov. 18. what does having intercourse have to do with when you get tested? i thought once you had this it was in your blood? was the 2nd test in nov. the right test? it did not give us numbers? on nov 28 right befor my period came i got a cold sore on my bottom lip. this now tells me that i at least have hsv1 for sure. the first test said that i was + for both. i still have not had any blisters on/in my genital area.
thank you so much for your help and guidence.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next