ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:23 am 

I have confirmed HSV2, and began a relationship with a partner who had a cold sore, thus HSV1. We used condoms for a month, then jointly decided to drop them. I took Valtrex for a while, but not regularly. In 7 months of unprotected sex, during which time I never had an outbreak, she also never had an HSV2 outbreak. Surely with viral shedding she was exposed?

So are there people who carry HSV2 and never express it? Should we assume she has it? She was tested recently but has no sign of HSV2.

I ask because our relationship stopped, but may start up again. Neither of us has had other partners, so nothing has changed, except ...

During those 7 months, she went through surgery and radiation for breast cancer, and now takes Tamoxifen, which I understand irritates vaginal skin. So is she now more likely to acquire the HSV2 that was avoided earlier?

Are there any new theories on this complicated disease? Thanks very much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:02 pm 

you know your partner didn't contract hsv2 from you if she was properly tested at least 3 months after the last time you had had sex and was negative.

are you on daily suppressive therapy? If not, certainly consider it because between valtrex daily, avoiding sex anytime you have anything going on genitally and using condoms correctly, she has a 2-3% risk of contracting hsv2 from you each year. those are pretty good odds in general.

keep asking questions!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]