ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: trying to figure it out
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:05 pm 

Last new years I spent time with a boy, we will call him Matt, for about 2 months. It ended and by May I began spending time with someone else, whose name can be Ryan.
Ryan was a fling that lasted most of the summer and was over by September. Mid-September I had my yearly pap and decided it was in my best interest to have a full std check and blood work done, which all came back negative.
On November 1 (a monday), I ended up seeing Ryan once more and we spent the night together. Four days later (Friday) I woke up with a small bump and a small painful soar, I immediately called my gyno and set an appointment for that following Monday. By just a visual examination she said that it was about an 85% chance it was genital herpes. I was cultured and type-specific blood tested. The cultures came back positive for HSV2 and the blood work was negative again. She told me that this meant that I had just contracted the virus and that this was my first episode. I also had all of the symptoms associated with a first episode, extremely swollen lymph nodes, headaches, fever, and a second batch of bumps a few days later.
I told Ryan what I had found out and he was blood tested, I’m not sure which kind, but his results also came back negative.
So my question is, is it possible that I had contracted the virus from Matt about 6 months ago and it was just a coincidence that I had my first outbreak 4 days after seeing Ryan? I read its typical for your first outbreak to be within 2 weeks of being exposed, but is there a small chance I was exposed 6 months ago and it just took a while (6-10 months) for it to make its grand appearance? I know its not likely, I'm just wondering if there is a very small possibility.

I’ve also been reading a lot of posts on this forum and found a post about having tiny paper-cut like lesions, which can be many other things, but can also be herpes. I have experienced a few of these types of lesions before being diagnosed with hsv2, and had it check out once by someone at Planned Parenthood. She laughed at me, told me to stop over reacting and that I had cut myself shaving. I believed her and just left it at that so whenever one came around (always the same spot, it also always bled a little) I didn’t think much of it. So back to my first question, with these factors do you believe that I possibly did contract the virus 6 months ago and these small cuts were my first symptoms? Could I show symptoms for 6 months and still get a negative on a blood test twice?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:59 pm 

welcome to the board :)

At this point, you need to find out how ryan was tested for herpes. If you can get him to let you see his test results to post here, that will help me help the two of you best. Also you need to know how long prior to you was his last partner.

there is a small percentage of people who won't test accurately on the blood tests we have currently. at this point we need to make sure ryan was properly tested and so were you. don't hesitate to make sure you had igg testing done too and not igm. sounds like your provider is knowledgeable and on top of things but never hurts to confirm.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:49 pm 

I called my gynos office and the testing I got done in November and September were for igg and igm.
This November my results were hsv1 igg .9 hsv2 igg .7
For the igm she said isa less than 120?

In September than igg's were both less than .9

I've asked him if I could have his blood work results, so hopefully that happens.
And as far as how long prior to I was his last partner, in November when i saw him, he...had a girlfriend, or was dating her, so I’m sure he had been with both of us right around that time.
I’ve considered the possibility that maybe he was infected by her recently which is why his results are negative. I've tried to ask him if she's been blood tested recently, but the only answer I get from him is that "She's fine."
He has completely written the both of themselves off for having any possible connection to this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:09 pm 

Many people use denial as a way to deal with things like this. In the long run it doesn't work so well but at this point if you two are not together any more, that's his issue, not yours. Ultimately what is important is knowing what you have and where you have it which you do know. If ryan chooses not to look into things further that's his choice. Totally up to you if you want to wait and repeat your hsv2 igg in february or not to see if you are someone who will test accurately on blood tests once enough time has passed or to get a better idea if you are one of the small percentage who won't.

have you discussed with your provider how you want to deal with your herpes long term? if you haven't already, I highly recommend reading Terri Warren's free herpes handbook and watching the patient counseling video on her website too ( www.westoverheights.com ). Both are very helpful and informative when newly diagnosed. At this point the priority is you - educating you so that you and your future partners can make educated decisions about how to deal with your genital herpes.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:17 pm 

I know his status shouldn't be so much of my concern, but it's the only way I know how to begin dealing with this. Like knowing it's origin is going to give me piece of mind.

So..Why do certain people never get a positive blood test? Is it more common for that to happen to someone who has never shown symptoms?
And do you think it's possible that I have had this for a while now?
I know you can't give me a deffinent answer, but you're the only person who has mentioned the possibility of someone never getting a positive blood test.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:29 am 

It's less than 5% of folks if I recall who won't test positive on the tests we have currently and are really infected with hsv2. It happens but not a heck of a lot of time. we really don't know why it happens but it's an issue with any medical test you get.

I think it is hard not to want to know exactly when you contracted herpes and from whom. Most folks never figure that part out though.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]