ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: nerve damage??
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:10 pm 

does/can herpes cause nerve damage,and lead to MS or Fibromyalgia?

Post subject: Re: nerve damage??
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:44 pm 

we have nothing conclusive at this point that shows that it does any of that.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:12 pm 

Thanks Betsy
when does this get any better, the stress, the fear....I have hpv and now herpes...I did not sleep around, I was upfront with the two relationships I was in and now I am paying the price for searching for love in all the WRONG places. I have sought out counseling its going okay, but if you don't have the viruses(counselor) it hard to be counseled...very thing will be fine, you will find someone to accept you. The problem is I will not go back out into the dating world God only knows what else will happen to me. I will be going for full std testing, scared to death!!!!! can not get a grasp on this at all..is this normal time frame to have all these thoughts, fears ? I guess the other fear is the expense of having these viruses $$$$$ will I always have to run to the doctor for this and that? Yeah, I am rambling lol getting my thoughts out to someone for support and help to ease my mind...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm 

Just ask partners to get std testing and share results with each other prior to being intimate. covers everything but molluscum and hpv.

yes it is normal to swear off dating initially like this :) give yourself more time to adjust to it all :)

terri warren's book "the good news about the bad news" really goes into the psychological side of having herpes in detail. might be worth picking up on amazon and reading.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:04 pm 

Thanks once again Betsy
I will pick up the book ...thanks!!

do you see quite a few people who have both hpv and herpes?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:50 pm 

1 out of 3 has hpv.
1 out of 4-5 has hsv2.

indeed many people have both whether they know it or not!

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:04 pm 

Thanks again Betsy
I posted on the HPV board (haven't gotten a response)maybe I should have just posted it here, I am new to the boards ...can I post hpv and herpes here on this board or do I need to direct all my hpv questions to the other board?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:08 pm 

you can post them here if you want if fred is too busy to answer within a day or two on the hpv board. he and I have a contest to see how many more posts my forum can get than his anyways so that helps me beat him even more...he he he

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:26 pm 

lol okay Betsy here ya go..I copied paste from hpv board sorry Fred! first come first served

I had a complete hysterectomy including removal of the cervix back in 2004 ..high risk hpv
my question is ,is the risk of cancer still there? I haven't had any abnormal paps since 2004 and another question if I do not have a cervix does the pap smear detect abnormalities in the other areas vulva, vagina etc?
and now I have herpes 2 and have been told no danger in having both, but...................

FROM WEBMED....
Herpes simplex virus-2, the cause of genital herpes, was detected in nearly half of women with invasive cervical cancer -- nearly twice as often as in women without signs of cancer, researches report in a study published in the Nov. 6 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

But this doesn't mean that all women with herpes simplex-2 (HSV-2) are at increased risk. In fact, those diagnosed with HSV-2 face no additional risk if they are not also infected with human papillomavirus (HPV).

^^^^ so does this mean that with the herpes 2 that my chances of getting cancer are higher and that my pap smears could start coming back abnormal?

plus another question....I am on paxil cr along with taking valtrax seems anxiety is a little higher ...is the combo causing this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:33 am 

give yourself some more time to deal with all of this and your anxiety levels should go back down to their normal range. nothing in the literature about valtrex increasing anxiety or interacting with paxil but then again it's not something they really test for - it would come from anecdotal post marketing evidence. We do know that people who had issues with anxiety and depression prior to being diagnosed with herpes, certainly don't have an easier time of either once diagnosed. Typically in a few months though things return to baseline for you.

only one study showed that hsv2 increased the risk of cancer with high risk hpv infections. It was rather small and I"m not sure anyone really even paid much attention to it. We know having hsv2 increases your risk for acquiring other std's but at this point we don't know if hpv and hsv2 have a synergistic effect and make the high risk hpv worse, if having hsv2 makes you more likely to contract high risk hpv or just what.

yes you still need pap tests done. it check for any cancers near the top of the vagina where your cervix used to be.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:42 am 

thanks Betsy!
I found out I had herpes 2 in Aug. I went for my regular pap in Sept.(all was okay), next pap isn't until Sept. next year. What are the chances of me getting precancer cells, cancer in a years time...slime to none? Is it a rapid growth in a years time?
In my head I feel its a death sentence for me...in time! am I just thinking to far ahead with worry?
Is there anything I can do for myself to not let this worry me? cause all of this isn't sounding to good

yeah about the anxiety, I have an anxiety disorder so this is causing me higher anxiety..ugh!

added: just got back from a counseling session went well....we all have the chicken pox virus in us, but we all don't get shingles from it....sooo I guess I should just think of these viruses as that??

gosh Betsy sorry if I am all over the board with these thoughts and questions....trying to learn as much as I can....I will start making a list of questions out for the health department visit for next week!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:23 pm 

I really wouldn't be worried about hsv2 and hpv at this point. It's very low risk in general. some things just aren't worth worrying about. If it were me, I wouldn't be overly concerned about my own health in the same situation if you want my 2 cents.

talking about things is a good way to deal with them :)

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 pm 

oh I forgot to tell ya ...I am a worrywart also!!!! :roll: lol

THANKS BETSY!!!!!!!!!! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]