ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:17 am 

Ok so I'm confused. Here is my story:
November 2008, my girlfriend with whom I've been having unprotected sex with approximately 3x daily for a month tests positive for the first time in her life (no noticeable outbreaks) for HSV2 via blood test (type unknown). I freak out, but figure I'm screwed because of all the unprotected sex. I test Negative via blood test (type unknown) for both HSV1 and HSV2. I get sick w/ sore throat and flu like symptoms for like 2 months...but no outbreak. In December of 08 or January of 09 we get retested with biokit tests. She again tests positive for HSV2 and I test Negative. In March 09, I decide to get a final test via the internet at http://www.tstd.org. I get the herpes select IGG test and it comes back negative for HSV1 and positive for HSV2 with a value of 2.61. I was expecting a positive result and figured oh well...I love her. Unprotected sex continues for almost 2 years after that with intermittent use of valtrex by her. She began to have what we guessed were previously missed symptoms that we figured were outbreaks. I still have never had an outbreak. So naturally, as these things go, she leaves me at the beginning of November this year. Last week, I went to go and get tested at the doctor again just for the hell of it. I got my results today and they are NEGATIVE for both HSV1 and HSV2. The test used was not herpes select but Multiplex Flow Immunoassay BioPlex 2200 IGG. There were no values for the result just negative, negative for HSV1 and negative, negative for HSV2.

Once again, I am bewildered and confused. I have decided to go and get an additional test from a different office. If this final test comes back negative, am I negative? Did the internet testing people screw it up? I am just trying to figure out if I in fact am capable of spreading HSV2 to others. Any comments are welcome and thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:33 am 

A hsv2 igg of 2.61 is still considered a low positive. we recommend getting either another biokit or a herpes WB to confirm your status.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 am 

I just thought I would post a follow up:

WB came back negative for HSV...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 pm 

congrats! glad you got confirmatory answers as to your status :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]