ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hpv high risk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:50 pm 

I had a complete hysterectomy including removal of the cervix back in 2004 ..high risk hpv
my question is ,is the risk of cancer still there? I haven't had any abnormal paps since 2004 and another question if I do not have a cervix does the pap smear detect abnormalities in the other areas vulva, vagina etc?
and now I have herpes 2 and have been told no danger in having both

FROM WEBMED....
Herpes simplex virus-2, the cause of genital herpes, was detected in nearly half of women with invasive cervical cancer -- nearly twice as often as in women without signs of cancer, researches report in a study published in the Nov. 6 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

But this doesn't mean that all women with herpes simplex-2 (HSV-2) are at increased risk. In fact, those diagnosed with HSV-2 face no additional risk if they are not also infected with human papillomavirus (HPV).

^^^^ so does this mean that with the herpes 2 that my chances of getting cancer are higher and that my pap smears could start coming back abnormal?

Post subject: Re: Hpv high risk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Hi there,

Pap smears done in women who have had a total hysterectomy are really looking for vaginal cancer, which is detected even less commonly than cervical cancer. A Pap doesn't screen the vulva for cancer (an even less common disease).

Herpes simplex virus (HSV) does not directly cause cancer, although as you mention some research has found that women with cervical cancer are also more likely to have HSV. Any potential connection isn't well understood; it may be that HSV is simply a "co-factor" that elevates the risk of cancer in a woman with a high-risk type of HPV due to an inflammatory effect, for example. That's one theory, but who really knows?

Bottom line is the presence of HSV shouldn't be a major cause for alarm re: HPV and cervical cancer, and the way a woman with both viruses is managed in terms of follow-up is exactly the same.

Hope this helps. Post anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]