ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hi Betsy...I'm Back
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:31 am 

Well, I'm back with a question. Just to recap, I was exposed to HSV in Sept 08 (she wouldnt tell me which type she had) I was tested in Sept 09 and my numbers were .07 and .45 for 1 and 2. I've never had a blister or lesion on my penis or groin area. But, I keep getting the jock itch thing going on with no redness, aching or swelling, that is intermittent throughout the day, that lasts for about 2 weeks then goes away. I've been having the symptoms since summer 2009. Recently, I had an itchy sensation above my upper lip (along the hair line) and a little tiny bump showed up. I thought it was an in grown hair, popped it and put some zit cream on it. It went away in 2 days....then one showed up in the exact same location on the lower lip area along the hair line, it too went away in 2 days. I have not had sex with anyone in about a year (although I have kissed a few ladies). The question is....when I got the little bump I had all the typical symptoms of allergies (which I get really bad) Itchy eyes, stuffy nose, post nasal drip etc... I also began getting the intermittent itchy groin. Could I have had a false negative when originally tested and my symptoms were so mild that the PA who looked at me just blew it off as being in my mind? or is there something else going on that I'm mistaking for HSV...HPV? (which my ex wife had) or I read something about Candadia something (I"m sure I butchered that). Any insight you may have would be great!

Hope all is well with you and I thank you for still dedicating yourself to this cause!

Joe

Post subject: Re: Hi Betsy...I'm Back
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:31 pm 

really nothing else I could possibly help you with at this point. Best to be seen anytime you have any symptoms you are concerned about for a proper evaluation. I'm really limited by what I can do online and your herpes testing is negative.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:15 pm 

Thanks for the response Betsy. Just a quick question about results and the numbers. I just read a post earlier where an individual was negative then positive then negative again in testing. You said that the 2.61 was considered a low positive. When I had my test done and the HSV2 came back at .45 the marker they used for a positive was a .50. Is there really that much room to play with? I'm in a panic because my test said that there was evidence of HSV antibodies but the level was only .45 (which is too close for comfort for me if .50 is positive). Also, refering to the other persons post, what is the peak time frame from the time of exposure to the time of testing? 6mos after, 1 year after exposure, 1 month after etc... I"m not a doctor but I would imagine that if someone was exposed and a year later was tested that the body would have produced a ton of antibodies by that point, unless there is something wrong their defense system?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:13 pm 

It's less than 5% of folks who actually have herpes who won't test accurately on our blood tests. typically if you are still negative 6 months post possible infection, it's assumed you really don't have herpes unless you have a + lesion culture of course. folks who don't test accurately on the blood tests, will test accurately on lesion cultures. every single test you take has a false negative issue just most of the time you don't question it. There is an irrational fear of herpes for some reason that sometimes makes folks far more doubtful of their test results than with even cancer testing !!!

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:19 am 

Betsy. I called my PA and he wont do another HSV test. He said the one I had was negative and I need to forget about it. I just cant help the feeling that I really do have HSV. I started getting what I felt were allergies around Thanksgiving with the itchy watery eyes (which was the first place I touched when she told me she had HSV) and sore throat. Then I started getting the itchy groin, which then became hemorrohoid symptoms. Then I got the burning on my upper lip that resulted in a little bump that I blasted with pure zinc and directly across from it I got another one which I blasted with pure zinc. I posted here on the 8th and I still have all the symptoms. My PA said that the itchy groin and hemorrohoid symptom is from the excessive amount of gas that I"m having and from the weather which is drying out my skin really bad. It just seems all too coincidental to be happening all at once and it's not the first time that its happening. I had the exact same complaints last year without the bumps on the lips. Is there a way to get tested privately that is affordable? Like I said earlier, my Dr wont do it and I dont have any sores or leasons for them to test. My Dr tells me that I should be happy with the negative result. Well, why do I keep getting all of the classic symptoms? I was just starting to feel ok with the results and then it started again. Is there something else I should be tested for that would mimic the HSV symptoms? Can having excessive gas cause my groin to itch and feel like my pubic hair is straw?

I'm sure youre going to say I'm crazy as well and I should be happy with the negative test result. I just want the symptoms to stop so I can feel comfortable with the results being correct.

Joe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:39 am 

like your provider, I too am not sure why you are obsessing about how this has to be herpes related. see a dermatologist at this point if you want a 2nd opinion from your regular providers.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]