ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Transmission
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 am 

Hi my question is since gh is in the anogenital region what's the chance of transmitting hsv2 through analingus. In reading through this website it looks like 98% with valtrex and 99% with condom use without an ob but are the stats different when the mouth is involved? My partner doesnt have hsv and I thought hearing an answer from someone of your knowledge might help him to be more comfortable...thanks :oops:

Post subject: Re: Transmission
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:31 pm 

we don't have stats for transmission to the oral area with oral sex. it can happen but overall the risk is rather low.

are you on daily suppressive therapy? have you two discussed barrier protection for oral sex?

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:05 pm 

Yes I am on a daily suppressive therapy (valtrex) and I know that helps quite a bit..barriers are out of the question for him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:13 pm 

how does your partner feel about his risk? ( or is it your risk? )

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:05 am 

Thanks Betsy for all the GREAT work you do on here. The first time we had been together was this past week and he just couldn't do as he wanted. I did get on the site and show him some of the questions to give him an idea of what his chances were in getting hsv2. So in answering your question I think he's pretty scared about getting this that's why I decided to ask the question directly. All I can do is make sure that he gets the right information so he can make the best informed decision.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:58 am 

there is absolutely no reason why he can't do anything sexually with you!!

if you have hsv2 and he doesn't and you take daily suppressive therapy, he has a very low risk of contracting hsv2 from you. sometimes I think it's hard to keep it in perspective because no one has taught us to be informed about std's, in general, just scared of them! The just say no approach to everything in life isn't very educational and leaves us very lacking :(

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:56 pm 

OMG Betsy truer words have not been spoken..we are conditioned to be scared of stds. The problem is that 1 in 5 women and 1 in 8 men (if these stats are still the same) have herpes some walking around not even knowing they have it. Thank you so very much for your words of wisdom..I will pass them on to my partner. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:54 pm 

the ideal risk of becoming pregnant while on the pill is 1% ( real use is 8% ). do you not have sex certain times of the month even while on the pill for fear of pregnancy? most women do not. the risk of transmitting hsv2 to a male partner over the course of a year while just avoiding sex when any genital symptoms are present is 4%/year. throw in condom use and daily suppressive therapy with valtrex too and the risk goes down to 1%/year for a male partner. really low odds with minimal precautions :)

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:39 pm 

Thank you so much for your help... keep up the good work :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]