ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Could my doc be wrong?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:56 pm 

Hi,
2yrs ago I had a one night stand with a guy. There was skin to skin contact. I went to my doctor after i noticed 3 small bumps (looked like little pimples). They appeared only a few days after the one night stand. She took a quick look and said it was hpv. She froze the bumps and they disappeared after a few more days. The doc just kept saying i'd be fine. I've had 3 pap tests since and all are fine. No more bumps after the initial 3. I drink, smoke, eat junk, don't exercise and have major stress.

Could it have been an allegic reaction to an external element?

How can she be so sure?

Is it gone now, since I have had no other symptoms?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for your post,

It's hard to figure out after the fact if a diagnosis was correct. Genital warts are most often diagnosed with a simple visual inspection, so there's nothing (like a biopsy, unless there's great uncertainty or something else happening) that's usually done. As one expert said to me, "If it's warts, it's warts..."

That being said, sure there are other skin conditions that can mimic warts or be confusing. Most HPV infections are suppressed pretty effectively by the immune system, and eventually become latent and undetectable even with really sensitive tests.

Bottom line is almost everyone who's sexually active has HPV at some point, and more most the immune system eventually figures out how to deal with it. When this occurs, the virus typically isn't a problem down the road unless the immune system is compromised.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:32 am 

Hello and thanks for sharing your problem with us here..As you said that how did she know about it so you should keep in your mind that doctors know all the diseases and prescribe you better treatments for them..If she said that don't worry now all is okay now so you must stop worrying about it and keep moving towards your life..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]