ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: suppressive acyclovir
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:03 pm 

I have HSV-2 and concerned about asymptomatic shedding. My doctor prescribed 400mg once per day, but I read on this site, and two other books that the normal suppressive theory does is 400mg twice per day.

I'm in a long-distance relationship and we only get together every other month. I have few outbreaks. She has had blood test that shows HSV-1 antibodies, and I've had blood test showing HSV-2 positive.

Could I take the acyclover twice daily for five days prior to a visit and through the visit, then go off the medication for the next 60 days?

I got this idea reading "The Good News About Bad News".

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:59 pm 

correct - acyclovir is not effective when only taken daily. call your provider and ask them to please check the pdr because they have prescribed the wrong dose of medication and you need a new prescription for the proper doses!!

yes it's fine in a long distance relationship where you don't see much of each other to do "episodic suppressive therapy" we'll call it.

do you recall your numeric blood test results? e.g. hsv1 igg 4.3 and hsv2 igg 1.3 or whatever they were specifically?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]