ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:31 am 

Hello everybody !
I am newly diagnosed with first ob going on for 2 weeks now. It’s been very rough because I have one bump on the outside of the rectum and two inside (any suggestions on what I can do about this?) and one on the labia. I have been in alot pain and have flu like symptoms like nausea/vomiting with no answers on what to do from the doctors. I also have an autoimmune disease and I am allergic to Lidocaine and any kind of *caine.

I am having a hard time urinating. I have to exert pressure and energy to get the flow started. What should I do about this?

I have weird nerve pains in my right leg and tops of my toes each foot, like I have a rug burn.

I am concerned about taking Valtrex because it seems to be hurting my stomach and with autoimmune your stomach is very sensitive to destructive medications (like antibiotics which kill all the good stomach bacteria). I would like to consider natural medications that would be less destructive on my stomach. Please if anyone has a suggestion for that?

I haven’t thankfully had any itching so far and the one bump I have had hasn’t changed shape size or appearance this whole time?

Thank you J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:28 pm 

how were you diagnosed as having genital herpes? Do you know if you have hsv1 or hsv2?

try soaking in the tubby with epsom salts in it ( or pick up a sitz bath set up and put epsom salts in there to soak your bottom in for 10 minutes periodically ). It helps makes you more comfortable. also you can try something as simple as steeping a tea bag, letting it cool and then using it as a compress periodically on your lesions.

the doses of valtrex you take for the first ob are higher. make sure you take it with a full meal when you take it twice a day. You can even take it with dinner and before bedtime if you need to - that way you have a bigger meal for breakfast with the first dose and hopefully sleep through most of the side effects with the 2nd dose of the day. You can also ask your provider to switch you to acyclovir , take that 3x/day and see if that causes you less stomach issues too.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:50 pm 

I went to colon Dr. first he said he thought that it was herpes, he was absolutely NO help, I was still sick so I went to the OB/GYN. She had done a test in July that said I had a HSV2 of 0.18 (which was a negative) but she thought this was HSV2 by looking at the one red bump on the labia (of course the official blood test is excepted by next Wed.) But my symptoms all indicate this is HSV2, correct?

The epsom salt bath helps and I will try the tea bags but mostly I'm struggling with the flu symptoms, body aches all over. I have a temp of 99.4 If I take hydrocortisone for fatique as I normally do for my autoimmune problem am I going to make this ob worse?

How long will it take for this one bump to scab over?
Oh I'm taking the 1,000 mg twice a day.

Thank goodness your here.. thank you! J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:15 pm 

do you have a regular partner? when was the last time you had sex prior to your symptoms?

steroids can make ob's last longer, if this is herpes going on. the valtrex will help control it. obviously taking the steroid is important for your health so it can't be avoided.

are you taking tylenol or advil for the body aches? nice socks in the bathtub often help with those too.

did your gyn also test you for anything else genitally while you were there? did they do any lesion cultures on your symptoms?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:02 pm 

Can you believe that colon Dr. gave me steriod cream... rrr... I'm so glad I didnt use it.

I have a regular partner now and he is getting tested. I had the other test prior to use getting involved, I feel bad for not retesting again.

They did do a culture on it. Wed. can't come soon enough, but the symptoms are pretty certain. I seem to be feeling better, the medication still makes me sick. My water bill is going to be high this month cause I have pretty much just sat in the epsom salt bath this whole time.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:48 pm 

once you and your partner have your test results back, you'll have a better idea of who has what and can go from there.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:14 pm 

oops

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:24 pm 

did any of your test results come back yet?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 am 

Thank you for asking, i guess this site has been down for a few days.

It's day 17 of this awful first outbreak.. omg.. awful. Anyway, I'm doing much better, still having a little itchy (not to bad) and still feel like I have a urinary tract infection (Dr. sent out for a culture). The medication Urispas was a life saver.

My test results were negative blood and a positive culture. He didnt have any symptoms and from his 1.05 positive blood test result, he must have just recently got this? So even though we were both fairly careful and deligent about being tested etc... we both still managed to get this ..... rrrrrr....

My urgent question is, if he can't tell when he has a ob, can he keep giving this to me everyday?

I barely (and I do mean barely) lived through this. I still have to wait and see if there is permanent damage to my urethra (Dr. thinks it maybe possible she is giving me a urologist referral).

I have looked at using Coconut Oil as a lubricant or spermicidal creams, because from what I read they are anti-viral and would kill the virus should it come out again unnoticed?

Any advice or tips appreciated...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:47 pm 

did they type your lesion culture to know if it's hsv1 or hsv2? if they didn't, ask them to call the lab and order it to be typed. they should be following cdc guidelines and ordering all lesion cultures typed.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 am 

yes they did that. it's HSV2...

Can he continue to give me this infection all the time, since he has no symptoms?

Do these creams work at prevention? for instance would Zovirax cream help prevent someone from being infected?

Also, because his results were so low, his Dr. is telling him "it isn't likely that he has it" ??

How long can I have had a negative blood test? To me this is the initial ob and I have had this less than 3 weeks (thats what my Dr. said), its been four months since I have been with anyone else. Help??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:39 pm 

Can he continue to give me this infection all the time, since he has no symptoms?

his test results are negative.

Do these creams work at prevention? for instance would Zovirax cream help prevent someone from being infected?

no

How long can I have had a negative blood test? To me this is the initial ob and I have had this less than 3 weeks (thats what my Dr. said), its been four months since I have been with anyone else. Help??

just make sure they really did type your infection and not just assumed it was hsv2 since it was genital. if you have hsv2 confirmed by culture and are negative on the blood tests, either you are a slow seroconverter from your previous partner, one of the small percentage of folks who don't test accurately on the blood tests ( assuming you had igg blood testing done ) or your partner was recently infected and hasn't seroconverted yet.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 am 

Upon further review of the actual paperwork, his test was positive (his value was 1.14 which is over 1.09 therefore positive) but they did the wrong test, that was IGM. I'm having him retested. The Dr. still told him that he was negative, even though the test paper said POSITIVE ????

Can he still give this to me every time we are together ?

My blood test was IGG and below 0.91, negative. I had HSV2 confirmed by culture.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:03 pm 

no, if you both have hsv2 it's not something you'll ping pong back and forth or anything.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm 

thank goodness, i thought he might cause me to have an ob everytime? was super worried about that.

I also read that this is because we have the same version of the HSV and therefore once you have an antibody to that version of HSV it usually can't/won't re-infect you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next