ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 am 

I am just wondering, although I know there is no 100% answers you can give me, what my likelihood of transmitting HSV1. I am a female and have HSV1 genitally, if I use condoms and am on a daily supressive therapy what are my chance? I would like to eventually begin dating again and am really struggling with coming to grips with this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:15 pm 

the risk of transmitting it to a partner is very low. Hsv1 genitally sheds less than a dozen days out of the year on average so the odds that you'd have sex on one of those days and your partner would contract it are rather low.

we don't recommend suppressive therapy for hsv1 genitally unless you just need the peace of mind. we don't know if it's effective or not in reducing transmission to a partner and most folks aren't having frequent enough recurrences to warrant the cost and the effort. No harm in taking it but no reason to do so just because you know you have genital herpes.

always talk to your partners and ask them about their own status and testing. odds are your partners aren't getting tested for herpes to know their status and since you can still contract hsv2 from them, it's a good idea for them to get proper testing done.

keep asking questions!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]