ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:22 am 

I was diagnose with HPV. The doctor said I was in the mild stage I'm waiting on my second visit where they will remove the cells. Last week I when to get check what I thought where in grown hairs turns out they where warts. The doctor burned them off. The worst part of all this was telling my partner. The doctor told me because I have the warts I had pass hpv to him, he wants to know if he does have it how can he for sure know? The anxiety, and guilt is affecting me a lot. I need to know how I can deal with this.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was diagnose with HPV. The doctor said I was in the mild stage I'm waiting on my second visit where they will remove the cells. Last week I when to get check what I thought where in grown hairs turns out they where warts. The doctor burned them off. The worst part of all this was telling my partner. The doctor told me because I have the warts I had pass hpv to him, he wants to know if he does have it how can he for sure know? The anxiety, and guilt is affecting me a lot. I need to know how I can deal with this.

Hi,

I'm really glad you stopped by and posted. The guilt and emotional stuff you're feeling is a very normal part of HPV; in fact, I just responded to a post from an old friend of ours on this board who has been dealing with similar feelings for awhile. I want you to understand just one thing:

You didn't do anything wrong!

HPV is incredibly common. Virtually everyone who is sexually active has HPV, has had HPV in the past, or will have HPV in the future. HPV has become the "common cold" of STDs and is something that almost everyone has. Actually,there is one other thing I want you to understand: having HPV is normal.

The difference between you and the rest of humanity is simply that you got a diagnosis. Period. Most of us have HPV, never see or feel a single thing, and our immune systems clear it naturally. You have a diagnosis, though, so you get the worry and anxiety, which is all really, really unfair. Why is it unfair? Because you didn't do anything wrong. End of debate.

There is usually no way to tell for sure how long someone may have had HPV before they were diagnosed. Heck, a partner could even have been exposed to HPV from a prior relationship.

There is no general test for HPV to figure out if someone has it, and HPV tests aren't approved for "real world" use with men at all (they can be used with guys in medical research studies, though). Your partner isn't likely to ever see or feel much of anything, but his doctor or nurse might want to take a close look to see if there are any small warts.

I hope this helps. Please don't think I'm trying to tell you how to feel....your emotions are what they are, and they're all valid. Post anytime.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:53 pm 

Thanks fredo,
You have giving me a good advise, Im feeling a lot better about the situation. I spoke to my partner he doesnt blame me and told me not to feel guilty, wich puts me at ease. Once again thank you so much for your support.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 pm 

Hi fredo
Can you take gardisel after you've been diagnosed with hpv?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:14 am 

hotnoise wrote:
Hi fredo
Can you take gardisel after you've been diagnosed with hpv?

I asked Fredo that in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7487

But here's what he said to me:
"It won't help with the HPV you may already have, but can still protect against other HPV types you don't have that the vaccine covers. Gardasil protects against the two "low risk" types found with most genital warts (HPV 6 and HPV 11) as well as the two "high risk" types linked with most cervical cancers (HPV 16 and HPV 18)."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting that link!

Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:16 am 

Hi Fredo I have another question, If you have a HPV can you also get oral hpv too? If so how can i know if i have it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:25 am 
Site Admin

hotnoise wrote:
Hi Fredo I have another question, If you have a HPV can you also get oral hpv too? If so how can i know if i have it?

It is possible to have oral HPV, but oral diseases related to the virus are much less common than what's found in anal/genital infections. There's no specific test typically done for oral virus, but a health care provider (sometimes a dentist) can help identify any lesions that might come about. Don't lose sleep worrying about this.

Fredo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:40 am 

Hi Im back, Fredo can stress cause another outbreak? I have been stressing a lot lately, and today i found another wart. I have made an appointment with the local clinic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:27 pm 

It's not unusual for the virus to continue to cause warts even with treatment initially. See your provider and get these new warts dealt with so they can be gone. stress doesn't really cause hpv to spread.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]