ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: young & confused
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:18 am 

I'm new on this board, and i was just wondering if genital herpes and genital warts are the same thing.. I have been too a sexual health unit but haven't gotten tested out for genital warts or anything in that particular subject, this occurred early in january & ever since then, i think well i know that i have some kind of virus, I just need to get it professionally confirmed, and I'm not stressed about it like i should, I was in the beginning but I just figured life just goes on even though I'm younger, I'm just looking for some insight or concerns. thanks :)

Post subject: Re: young & confused
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Hi ree,

Genital warts and genital herpes are not related. Warts are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) while herpes relates to herpes simplex virus (HSV). The similarities in the initials can be confusing!

There is no specific test for warts, and they are usually diagnosed with a close visual inspection by a healthcare provider.

Herpes can be diagnosed several ways, commonly by taking a swab sample of any sore (ideally early on before they begin to heal) or through a blood test. Ask about that at the clinic. By the way, what did they tell you when you were there before? Are you having symptoms?

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:04 am 

Thank you for clearing that for me, It all started with my ex boyfriend, well he's older then me but anyway he told me he found a "rash" and he told ME to go get myself checked out, so i did and i went in and we talked, i took a urine test for chlamydia and gonorrhea, a couple weeks passed & the woman said she'd call back if they were positive, she didn't so i don't have that, she asked me the usual questions and well for me, this is a scare and i wasn't really focused on the topic of the symptoms.. but right now, i'm pretty positive that i do have genital warts because i do get tingly sensations & sometimes it feels like its kind of burning and then after that, a sore pops up. I don't really know the situation of my ex boyfriend, the last time i talked to him was in february and I have no contact with him anymore whatsoever, what should I get done with the whole finding out process? oh and anymore insight would be nice, like having to deal with the virus, anything would help and thanks again :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Genital area irritation and bumps could be from a lot of things and don't automatically mean herpes, but tell the clinic your symptoms and see if they think a herpes blood test makes sense.

When herpes is present, it's not dangerous but the outbreaks can be uncomfortable and annoying. Usually, though, they aren't severe and tend to become milder and less frequent. Medication is available but isn't always needed. It's important not to have sex while you see or feel anything that might be related to herpes; there are options for reducing risks of transmission to partners (condoms, even taking daily meds in some cases).

But let's not get too far ahead of the game! See what the clinic says and let us know if you have anymore questions.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: back again
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:28 am 

I'm back again, and i have been to my local clinic. I've been right all along, I have HPV. The doctor also told me that, it could go away by itself in a couple of years? Is there any way to tell what strain it is, i'm pretty sure she told me it was 9, or maybe 6? I'm not entirely sure. Can you transmit the virus by simply kissing or by oral sex? I'm not really satisfied about the news, Is there any way to get a blood test done? I'm new to this, and anything resourceful can help. Thanks alot :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Hi Ree,

Thanks for the update. So what's your exact diagnosis, genital warts? If so, those are almost always related to HPV type 6 or 11. There's seldom any reason to do a blood test (or any other test) to figure out the specific type or "strain" one may have, as 1) 90% of genital warts are caused by HPV 6 and 11 and 2) knowing the type doesn't really change anything about the advice or treatment you'd be given.

Performing oral sex on a partner with genital HPV does pose a risk for getting the virus in the mouth/throat, although oral diseases aren't detected nearly as often as their anal/genital counterparts. The main precaution is not to let anyone perform oral sex while lesions (that is, warts) are present.

Removing warts might reduce - but doesn't eliminate - the risks of transmission to a partner. Barriers (like condoms) can also reduce the risk. It's true that the immune system usually clears HPV infections within 6-24 months. It's also true that virtually all sexually active people have an HPV infection at some point - it's normal to have HPV.

I hope this helps. Post again anytime you have questions.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]