ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm 

His blood results are in..... HSV IGG = 6.0

all I can say is what an idiot Dr. at the VA that told him he was negative because of the IGM test... after he told that Dr. I caught it from him.. I could strangle that Dr.

At a level of 6.0 can I assume he has had this for about a year ? Won't his level get higher? What range does it usually top out at?

thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:20 pm 

just to confirm, that's his hsv2 igg and not a combined igg?

you can't ascertain anything from the numeric value as far as how long he's been infected. he could've had hsv2 for years or even just a few weeks.

I also recommend that your bf take the time to write out a well thought out letter to the clinic that did the igm test on him. You can include information from the 2010 cdc herpes testing guidelines too in it. clinics really do change their practices based on complaints I can assure you and it might be what it takes to get them some better herpes testing education.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:53 am 

Going on day 24... and I thought I was starting to feel better but it seems I am having another ob ?? I got another bump (and what looks like maybe more) and I am sooooooo scared that I'm going to be sick for another 3 weeks. I'm crying and pretty upset....
What if I have this eveyday for the rest of my life... I don't think anyone could live that way... Doesn't seem like there is much anyone is going to be able to do to help me.. I'm feeling really down again...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:41 am 

It's not unusual to get a "2nd wave" so to speak. Probably not a bad idea this week to go back and be seen and get properly tested for yeast and bacterial vaginal infections again just to make sure that also isn't an issue.

you having any better luck getting the valtrex in? if you are done with your first round of valtrex, call and ask them to phone you in another 7-10 days too.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 pm 

After the second wave is there a third wave? ..... sigh....

I am not going to take the Valtrex anymore, it didn't shorten anything or help in any way. All it did for sure was make me sick and possibly ruin my liver. I read about kidney and liver failure... thats worse than herpes. I already have a bad liver from Reyes Syndrome. I guess I will resort to the cheesy cream type stuff.. some of them want $98 for a small bottle... good grief. Wish I could find someone that says any of these work?

Also, can I/should I get the shingles vaccine ? will it work or make you have a ob ?

thank you..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 pm 

valtrex is not hard on your liver. it doesn't ruin your kidneys either. not sure how those myths persist.

acyclovir ointment isn't effective for genital herpes if that's the cream you were referring to. why not try oral acyclovir instead - 400mg 3x/day for a week and see how that works for you?

no, getting a shingles vaccine won't have any effect on your herpes. totally different viruses.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:37 pm 

Thank goodness it looks like I am going to be alright and no other symptoms just a bump.

Personally, I felt like I had a bad bad hangover and I don’t drink anymore cause my body just can’t handle it. I guess at the end of the day I would rather have an ob for 2 more days than to be sick as a dog for 10 days. I will try the acyclovar but I bet it is the same as Valtrex.

However, dosage recommendations are based on renal function. A medication that is dose dependent upon your renal activity can not be good for your kidneys. Adequate hydration must be maintained to insure precipitation of acyclovir does not occur in the renal tubules. I kind of wonder if it didn’t exasperate my urinary problems? I tend to be dehydrated and have electrolyte imbalances easily.

again.. thanks so much for feedback.. this has been flustrating, to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:22 pm 

It's IV acyclovir that is more of the issue, not oral acyclovir/valtrex. You get almost 100% bioavailability with IV acyclovir and only 55% with valtrex and 15% with acyclovir. we don't check kidney function on folks who take acyclovir and valtrex suppressively even though we are oftentimes a little more careful with doses for elderly folks treating shingles. unless you are in kidney failure, we don't adjust the dose normally.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 am 

I'm still having alot pain. I believe I have Interstitial Cystitis caused by the HSV ob and from what I can tell there isn't a cure or treatment.

Do you have any suggestions or know of what my odds are this will go away? or others experiences?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:23 pm 

I'd follow up with your regular gyn to try to see what is going on that you are still having so much pain at this point.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:54 pm 

I have Interstitial Cystitis caused by the HSV ob .... which I understand is common.

Is there anything you know of that can help this??

because the urologist sure ain't going to know anything about HSV.. shoot.. your lucky if your OB/GYN knows anything about it.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:11 pm 

actually I don't believe that IC from herpes is all that common at all.

see your gyn and get a proper work up to try to figure out what is going on. also consider trying daily suppressive therapy with acyclovir or valtrex to see if that helps your symptoms at all too.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:53 am 

I saw the GYN.. she said it seemed like IC and refered me to the urologist, caused by the HSV ob...

I see several women on this site who had to be catheterized because of this...

I cant take Valtrex, it makes me sick....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm 

yes, some women do need catherization due to urinary retention from herpes but that typically happens very early into their infection and then clears up in a few days or so. The symptoms of IC are different and herpes is not considered a cause of it.

try acyclovir 400mg 2x/day and see how it goes for you. You can even try 200mg 3x/day and see how that goes.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 pm 

Clearly in my case the IC was caused by the HSV ob... It seems to be getting better now at what day 44 of this ob....

Question: why is there still lesions on my cervix? that can't be good, does that mean I will get cervix cancer??? for that matter I still have some bumps on the labia but they are really small...

Also, why would you say "never perform oral on active genital lesions" ??
What if your not sure they are there or dont know they are there??? (in the case of my partner already having HSV).

Taking a small dose of a poison doesn't make it less poisonous, I won't be taking Valtrex unless I have to be home in bed. I don't know how it works or what it is doing to me. For instance, antibiotics ruin your intestinal flora and should only be taken if you can't get better without them, otherwise you shoot yourself in the foot. Until I have a clear picture of why this medication makes me sick ! I won't be taking it. It's not stomach upset like when you take a vitamin on an empty stomach, its I am sick 8 hours after taking it and I feel like I have the flu (or a hangover because its ruining my liver). If you take a vitamin on an empty stomach when you eat you feel better... i can eat all day on Valtrex and I am still sick sick sick... yuck.... sigh...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next