ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:36 pm 

Hi,

Have read through a number of posts and found some remarkably good information. Have some specific questions for which I could not find a previous reference post.

Just found out that I have GW and have been receiving cryo treatment to remove bumps. No new bumps during course of treatment.

Also, just started seeing a new girl. Had protected sex once, but also a bit of unprotected rubbing and we both gave each other oral sex. Would like to continue seeing her and have some questions about moving forward the discussion about my GW.

[1] Have read that there is no consensus about efficacy of informing partners about past outbreaks which have cleared up. With GW currently in treatment, is it advised to tell partner? Even if no (visible) warts on penis itself, just on scrotum?

[2] If she is in fact vaccinated (have yet to ask her), how concerned should she be about transmission given our single previous sexual episode? Should she see her doctor immediately?

[3] If she is vaccinated, is it still advisable NOT to have vaginal sex (noting that even with condoms, I can still transmit)?

[4] What about oral (me performing on her)?

[5] Have read that Gardisil is effective against the strains of HPV which cause 90% of genital warts. Are there non-HPV causes of genital warts? Or are all genital warts caused by HPV, only 10% of which are not protected against by Gardisil?

Thanks in advance!!! I'm glad that there is a resource like this out there...too many informal message boards online, with too much unverified information floating around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting your questions. Here are some of my thoughts:

[1] Have read that there is no consensus about efficacy of informing partners about past outbreaks which have cleared up. With GW currently in treatment, is it advised to tell partner? Even if no (visible) warts on penis itself, just on scrotum?

CDC's most recent STD Treatment Guidelines encourage anyone with genital warts to discuss it with a current partner. They do say that it's unclear if there's any benefit to discussing a past diagnosis of warts with a new partner. Skin to skin contact is all it takes to transmit HPV. Condoms are effective for the skin they cover but for an area such as the scrotum, a condom of course won't be protective.

[2] If she is in fact vaccinated (have yet to ask her), how concerned should she be about transmission given our single previous sexual episode? Should she see her doctor immediately?

Well, the Gardasil vaccine is almost 100% effective in blocking infections from the HPV types it covers. This assumes a person has had all three doses and has a normal immune system, etc.

[3] If she is vaccinated, is it still advisable NOT to have vaginal sex (noting that even with condoms, I can still transmit)?

I'm not sure how to answer this. Couples have to make decisions based on their comfort level. Consider things like: The vaccine is highly effective against the HPV types it covers; HPV is a near universal infection virtually all sexually active people have at some point; most HPV infections are without symptoms and harmless.

[4] What about oral (me performing on her)?

Same here, can't really say you should or shouldn't. If a partner has genital HPV then it's possible one could contract it orally by performing oral sex. The obvious precaution is not to do it while any lesions are present, or maybe shortly after lesions have been treated. While both oral sex and genital HPV infections are commonplace, I don't think there's exactly an epidemic or oral HPV-related conditions being diagnosed.

[5] Have read that Gardisil is effective against the strains of HPV which cause 90% of genital warts. Are there non-HPV causes of genital warts? Or are all genital warts caused by HPV, only 10% of which are not protected against by Gardisil?

I think a true genital wart, or condyloma, does involve some type of HPV. There can be similar growths in the genital area for other reasons, but these probably shouldn't be classified as a wart. Considering that 90% of genital warts come from just two HPV types, and that other "low risk" types do cause warts, as well, there doesn't seem to be much room for anything else.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:21 pm 

Fredo, thanks so much! I thoroughly appreciate the advice and will post after speaking with her.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:02 am 
Site Admin

bill222 wrote:
Fredo, thanks so much! I thoroughly appreciate the advice and will post after speaking with her.

Please do Bill, I'd like for you to keep in touch. Thanks again!

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]