ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:38 am 

I have been dating a man who has genital herpes. He doesn't know if he has HSV 1, 2, or both. He's had herpes for about 8 years, and says that his outbreaks are few and far between. He's not on daily suppressive therapy, but just takes antivirals if he has an outbreak. He says that he's never had a cold sore on his mouth. The other night, he performed oral sex on me. He had no evidence of sores on his mouth at all. What are the odds that he could have given me genital herpes?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:40 pm 

If he only has genital herpes then you couldn't have contracted genital herpes from him performing oral on you.

At this point, it's best if you BOTH get tested for hsv1 and hsv2 to see who has what. That way you will both have the information you need to make educated decisions about precautions for sexual contact together.

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com goes into more details about precautions than the herpes info here on asha does ( I recommend reading them both actually since sometimes the info is worded one way on one site that makes more sense to you than the way it's worded on another ). I encourage you both to check them out and then discuss together what precautions you'd like to take once you know who has what.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:06 pm 

Betsy,

Thanks! Could you just answer this hypothetical for me? Supposing he does have HSV1, what are the odds he would have passed it to me, given that he had no cold sores? If he's never had a cold sore, what are the odds that he has a "dormant" oral HSV1 infection?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:46 pm 

well 60% of adults in the US has hsv1 orally. odds are at least one of the two of you has it. we don't have stats for transmission for hsv1 to the genitals like we do hsv2. I usually ask folks if they usually worry about hsv1 genitally when folks perform oral sex on them or not. I've found most folks don't worry about it unless someone specifically tells them they have herpes which is kinda ironic since someone who is aware of their status is going to take basic precautions and someone who isn't aware isn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:42 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
well 60% of adults in the US has hsv1 orally. odds are at least one of the two of you has it. we don't have stats for transmission for hsv1 to the genitals like we do hsv2. I usually ask folks if they usually worry about hsv1 genitally when folks perform oral sex on them or not. I've found most folks don't worry about it unless someone specifically tells them they have herpes which is kinda ironic since someone who is aware of their status is going to take basic precautions and someone who isn't aware isn't.

Hmmm. So, is it very common to have HSV1 orally and not have ever had a cold sore? If he has HSV2 orally, what are the odds that he would have given it to me in the absense of a cold sore? With either 1 or 2, would the chance of transmission in the absence of a cold sore be quite low?

It's all pretty scary. If so many people have herpes, particularly orally, and don't know it, I guess I could have gotten it on many occasions in my life. It just doesn't seem practical or desirable to have to whip out a dental dam every time someone wants to go down on me, though!

I guess what I'm trying to ask you right now, regarding this particular encounter, is how worried should I be?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 pm 

not many folks who have hsv2 genitally also have it orally. Those who do, it typically doesn't shed very much to be transmitted through performing oral sex on a partner.

only 20-40% of folks who have hsv1 orally get obvious cold sores to know it.

at this point, not a big worry for you. should you develop any obvious genital symptoms within 2-20 days after the encounter see your provider for a proper diagnosis. follow up on testing for you both and go from there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 am 

physician jobs
betsyb1967 wrote:
If he only has genital herpes then you couldn't have contracted genital herpes from him performing oral on you.

At this point, it's best if you BOTH get tested for hsv1 and hsv2 to see who has what. That way you will both have the information you need to make educated decisions about precautions for sexual contact together.

The herpes handbook at http://www.westoverheights.com goes into more details about precautions than the herpes info here on asha does ( I recommend reading them both actually since sometimes the info is worded one way on one site that makes more sense to you than the way it's worded on another ). I encourage you both to check them out and then discuss together what precautions you'd like to take once you know who has what.

keep asking questions!

betsy

This information is correct. It is important to be aware of your partners diagnosis because there are safe alternatives that you can use when it comes to sexual acts. For example, if you would have used a device called a dental dam you would have been protecting yourself with about 99 percent certainty. I hate to say this, but you are living o the edge. It is a good habit to be prepared ahead of time against waiting until after the fact.

Last edited by ShyTeen206 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 pm 

shyteen - I don't think you are quite as educated on herpes as you think you are. also please limit your comments to current posts - thanks!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]